couple of questions

Hi my names matt, im new to posting im new to posting in the blue room.

I have just started a course and I need to know wat the role of a Administrator, and Artistic Director have with in theatre (neither are linked as a question). im just wondering if any one could help cant seem to find it in my books?

thanks for any help

matt

Administrator:

The guy everyone loves to hate.

Most of the time appears to be an imbecile who doesn't understand anything that goes on backstage, and never gives any non-admin department enough cash to do what they're supposed to.

Artistic Director

Person who has an "artistic vision" and lives in the world where their "vision" magically appears on stage without them having to tell anyone about it.

Moans loudly and wildly when this doesn't happen.

Sorry, got carried away a bit there.

Seriously:

Administrator:

Looks after the general paperwork and the money of the theatre as a whole, and assigns budgets etc.

Also handles things like gaining bookings and chasing up visiting companies.

Artistic Director:

Ensures a consistent 'vision' and 'style' throughout the performance/theatre/festival/whatever.

Also, in most organisations, both the administrator(s) and artistcic director report to the board of governors.

This collection of (usually) well respected people, oversee the decisions and visions of administrator and A.D. The 'buck' stops with them financially and legally.

the production manager is the poor devil who has to make what the administrator provides in terms of human and financial resouces fit the vision of the artistic director - in most cases it is almost impossible to keep both happy. The production manager is usually where the buck really does stop - the highest authority who really understands the entire process. If you get a good one, they're invaluable - a poor one means headaches for everyone else. not an easy job, but very satisfying when all goes well. tact, diplomacy, and a really good idea of what people are capable of is vital to the job.

paul

Archived