Stopping stage blocks sliding

Mr X

A couple weeks ago I saw something that can be used to stop stage blocks sliding on a wooden parquet floor. The problem stage blocks are a wooden construction, and are in contact with the floor for the entire perimeter of the stage block (sort of like a kitchen cupboard plinth, except that it holds the weight instead of just being decorative). The stage is made up of a number of them but if anybody runs, jumps, drags scenery etc. they get out of line and small gaps form between the blocks.

At the moment we have a load of non-slip mats that can be placed underneath but some have been damaged or misplaced so instead of buying more it may make sense to buy something more substantial.

I found something that I thought might be useful but can't remember where I saw it. I think it was a kind of tape that came on a roll and could be stuck to the base of the stage blocks to stop them sliding on the wooden floor. I didn't bookmark it and now can't find it again. Has anybody seen this product, or any other product that is designed to solve this problem? I'm sure it's not that uncommon with mobile staging!

Your non-slip mats may have been made of Dycem, which is available in sheets, rolls and self-adhesive strips. The latter are sold to make the handles of walking aids non-slip, are quite expensive and probably wouldn't last long. Dycem can become contaminated with dust, which makes it very slippery, not what is required.

An alternative thought is to try the self-adhesive carborundum strip sold to make stair nosings non-slip, as shown here. It should stop the blocks moving, but will make a mess of the parquet if they are dragged.

Depending how many blocks are involved, could you use timber to clamp them together as a big block, or tape the joints with gaffer?

... in contact with the floor for the entire perimeter of the stage block ...

I would suspect that's what your problem is.

It's very unlikely that the edge of the rostra is in full contact; the floor with have high and low points; the edge of the rostra may also not be dead flat. So you'll be having contact on small areas. Which makes it skid.

Me, I'd fit large rubber feet in each corner of each rostra (hint - big chunky rubber door stops make ideal big chunky rubber feet) so that contact is on those four points only.

Or fit coffin locks to hold the lot together if they are of that type of construction. Or both.

Archived