Misbehaving Clay Paky HPE...

Aaron-Hill07

Morning All,

I've got 4 Clay Paky MiniScan HPE's and one of them has a strange fault which I'm not sure how to repair!

Basically, inside the units there is a reset switch located next to the ignitor. Now when I turn on the fixture, nothing happens (I've changed fuses, cables to check it's not those that are faulty). But when I press and hold the reset switch, the unit starts it's boot-up and goes to the home position.

To me, it's like the reset switch is inverted and isn't allowing the power to flow into the unit when the switch is un-pressed but when pressed, it allows power into the unit. Now obviously this can't be right or there would need to be someone holding down that switch every moment during shows which would be rather stupid and look odd on stage :)

So, does anyone know why it's doing it and how to rectify the issue?

Thanks!

Hi Aarron,

the 'switch' you refer to is the safety interlock to prevent the unit being operated with the lamp change cover removed. the cover for lamp access may be incorrectly seated and not operating the interlock - or has been damaged. the unit should not be operated with the interlock bypassed as this is a health risk.

discharge lamps produce high levels of UV. if the door has been lost or damaged a replacement can be purchased as a spare part.

if I remember Pulsar lighting are the uk agent for clay paky.

If you sispect the safety interlock switch is faulty, you can temperarily bypass it and see what happens.

But dont be tempted to leave it bypassed.

It could be a faulty switch, or a mechanical abnomily causing the switch to not engage properly,

But if you are not confident with fixing electrical equipment, leave it to the qualified and insured personel, you know how paranoid they are about electrical safety nowdays

Hi Aarron,

the 'switch' you refer to is the safety interlock to prevent the unit being operated with the lamp change cover removed. the cover for lamp access may be incorrectly seated and not operating the interlock - or has been damaged. the unit should not be operated with the interlock bypassed as this is a health risk.

discharge lamps produce high levels of UV. if the door has been lost or damaged a replacement can be purchased as a spare part.

if I remember Pulsar lighting are the uk agent for clay paky.

What he's saying is if the back access plate is off then the fixture wont operate because the cut-off wont be depressed. So if there is damage, or the plate isn't sitting properly then the light isn't working even with the plate on. Can you not compare one of the working fixtures with the faulty one and see if there is obvious differences or damage?

Thanks a lot for the replies guys,

Niclights - hit the nail on the head! The prong was bent slightly which meant it slipped off the switch, I've just bent it back straight and it's perfect again!

Thanks a lot guys!

Archived