point to point standalone IP video link

Dan Gruner

A pair of standalone boxes that can sit on the buildings IP network, take a composite, s-vid or component signal in at one end and reproduce it at the other. I know there are plenty of video to IP converters available (for upgrading analogue CCTV cameras for example), however what I am after is a complete high quality standalone solution that offers the flexibility of routing video around a network and does not involve a PC.

Pointers?

Many thanks,

Dan

I spent a bit of time playing with and configuring a pair of VBricks a while ago at work. They do hardware MPEG2/4 encoders and decoders, more info on their site here and a relevant summary PDF.

They seemed fine reliability wise for the bit of testing I was doing, and they reconnected promptly and started doing their thing again when the link reappeared. I can't remember what the latency was like unfortunately. I believe a few of them might still be in place on a circuit somewhere that gets used occasionally.

They do Composite/SVideo or SDI if you pay for an optional module. I don't have any idea of their cost, but I guess it all depends where your budget lies between CCTV and broadcast quality.

Archived