Which sub?

Alec

So, I'm very happy with my new RCF ART 722As for band work. While we've largely been using tops only for vocal re-reinforcement, the time has come to invest in a sub or two to give us a bit more meat to play with. So I come for a few ideas before going off to seek demos.

I get the feeling I should really go for an 18" sub to get maximum grunt. Currently wondering about the RCF 4PROs, but the DB SUB18D has tempted me too, partly by its price, but partly the ergonomics.

Any views on either of these subs, for or against, or anything else I should be looking for in the £1k arena? Want to keep weight & size reasonable - or as reasonable as an 18" sub will allow. Or any other suggestions. Definitely want active.

• 3 weeks later...
Would you entertain having two 15" subs instead of the one 18"?

Yes, but only if there isn't a significant compromise in performance. And I really don't want to go down the lines of 2 subs per side. My objective is to carry the minimum amount of kit, but still achieve a fantastic sound. To this end, the prospect of a pair of pokey 18" subs seems optimal, where I would just take a single one to smaller gigs.

Make me a suggestion of a 15" sub or two that will impress me...

So, I'm very happy with my new RCF ART 722As for band work. While we've largely been using tops only for vocal re-reinforcement, the time has come to invest in a sub or two to give us a bit more meat to play with. So I come for a few ideas before going off to seek demos.

I get the feeling I should really go for an 18" sub to get maximum grunt. Currently wondering about the RCF 4PROs, but the DB SUB18D has tempted me too, partly by its price, but partly the ergonomics.

Any views on either of these subs, for or against, or anything else I should be looking for in the £1k arena? Want to keep weight & size reasonable - or as reasonable as an 18" sub will allow. Or any other suggestions. Definitely want active.

Whilst the 18" will give you a little more LF, the 15" Subs are still very good. The Analogue RCF ART 705AS (soon to be replaced with SUB 705 - 700W 130db Digital - slightly less heavy ) will give you a good 800W (130dB) and 1of these (or a pair) will still give you a very good band PA. RCF=3 Year Warranty, dB = 2. Just a warning here - beware if buying outside the UK as the warranty only covers the units in the country of purchase - and it's a real hassle to repack and send them back should the need arise - so always best to buy from a UK Main dealer.

Personally I would go for the 18" and although price is a major part would go for the RCF, but thats just my opinion.

It is tempting just to stick with the RCF gear, as I'm certainly in the mould of buy well, buy once. And I really think I'd regret it if I settled for a 15" driver, though I'm happy to have it demonstrated otherwise. So, if I stick with the 18" plan, it's limited to the 4PROs or the (too pricey for me, sadly, TTs) if I stick with RCF.

The temptation of the DB 18" subs for me was partly price. But then it's the other little things that can start to sell you, like the face that it's got a pole mount on two faces, so you can stack it either way. Small things, but they make a difference... But all comes to nothing if it sounds naff.

So, back on track, who's had real experience with the 4PRO & DB 18" subs? And any comparisons between either of these and the ART 705/905s in case it's enough to persuade me along that track?

I know I'll need to audition, but great if I can reduce the shortlist that I need to listen to, as it's all hassle!

Yes will only give 700w as per Rob.

I suspect that Rob was highlighting the fact that no loudspeaker "gives" "x" Watts.

You probably know this, but you could measure its sound power (acoustic power (W) in all directions) - and from this work out its efficiency as a measure of electrical power in to acoustic power out, and you could measure its sensitivity (sound pressure level on axis for a given input level).

However, depending upon its efficiency, sensitivity, cabinet loading and deployment, the actual sound output can vary widely for the same electrical power input. Therefore, quoting a bass bin as a '700W box' only tells you how much power it will tolerate on a long term basis before it lets out the smoke. It doesn't tell you how "loud" it will be.

Simon

Archived