Technical Theatre Apprenticeship

Afternoon All,

I'm currently studying at South Essex College on the BND Technical Theatre course full-time and I am in my first year however I must admit that I really don't like it there. There are many reasons why which I will be happy to discuss with people privately but don't want to flood this topic with a huge rant.

So, I'm hoping to find something else to do other than full-time college and I am looking into the idea of apprenticeships within the industry. I've been working as a freelancer for approximately two years, mainly focusing on the lighting sector of the industry and have worked on a large range of events from Theatre - Live Events & even Corporate. I have a good knowledge of technical theatre on the whole and am comfortable with Sound, A.V, Staging Systems & Rigging.

I would of course love to work in the industry full-time however due to being young, it is a lot harder to find an employer. So instead of getting put-off the whole industry by staying on at college, I want to find something that will fill my time, is industry related and enjoyable however I am struggling to find anywhere that offers an apprenticeship scheme.

I am based in Witham, Essex (Near Chelmsford) and can travel using public transport to anywhere within reason. I will hopefully be able to drive by July too so will have access to the majority of the country if neccesary!

I am a physically strong and fit person with a good technically working mind who is happy to work as a team or individually and I will always put 110% into every task I am part of. I am very passionate about the industry and will happily try anything.

So, if you know of anywhere that I can get to who offers apprenticeship schemes in our line of work or if you are a company who may be interested in offering an apprenticeship please do not hesitate to get in touch.

I am more than happy to speak to anyone with information that could help so feel free to contact me via the forum to obtain further information or contact details.

My C.V & Portfolio is available on request.

Thank you for taking the time to read this topic and I welcome any questions,

With Kind Regards,

Aaron Hill.

Aaron,

you do realise that South Essex college is probably the best place to start your search - being as how they are part of the NSA-CCSkills ...

Otherwise try City of Westminister College or Lewisham College who are the next nearest.

If doing academic work is any part of the problems you are having, note also that attendence at a college is part of the apprenticeship for at least a day a week.

Happy hunting.

Yes I do realise that SEC is now part of NSA as I was LD for the gig which helped us merge with NSA,

Yet the theatre we are in conjunction with isn't really anything special so am looking for other options with better facilities and theatres.

Thanks for the pointer on Lewisham & Westminster, will look into it.

And not at all, the Academic part of it is fine and I'm more than happy to do that!

Thanks,

Hey,

Awhile ago, annoyingly just before I started my current college course (BTEC ND in Production Arts @ Kingston College) I came across an apprenticeship that is offered by The Royal Opera House. I did not look into the details much... however I have just found the link for you; http://www.roh.org.uk/workhere/apprentices...caltheatre.aspx Might be worth taking a quick look?

Hope it all goes well!

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron,

I know how hard it is trying to find a job in the industry as I am the same age as yourself.

I'm Currently at Chichester College, West Sussex. To be honest the college is really bad, They lack in up to date equiptment or suitable equiptment to that matter.

I'm the only person at the college intrested in the technical Theatre aspect and have put in a lot of extra work, alot of extra work that I actually didn't want to do.

However, The hard work paid off, and they offered me an Apprenticeship as Assistant Technician from September. Its the first time an apprenticehip of this type in the department has been created.

So they maybe the possibility of an apprencehip at your college or if you was to enquire at Chichester there may be another one going here ?

Best of luck

I'm not sure saying your college is bad is a sensible move now you've got a job there. Your bosses and other students could read it and then pass the page link on to your bosses. You may well find that slagging the college off offends the people who work and study there. Just a thought?

You've done one year. Do another. Finish it, and then move on.

Stopping after 1 year of a 2 year course does not show commitment to the things you may not enjoy.

Your location and lack of ability to move very far is probably against you.

I'm not sure saying your college is bad is a sensible move now you've got a job there. Your bosses and other students could read it and then pass the page link on to your bosses. You may well find that slagging the college off offends the people who work and study there. Just a thought?

Alot of the staff agree with the fact that the college could be so much better, and students always say things about the college. But when your working at the college things are always that little bit better and easier, as theres a little more freedom. You can get into the control room without having a technician or tutor with you for example.

Alot of the staff agree with the fact that the college could be so much better

That doesn't matter - as you are now apparently an employee of the college, you are an ambassador for your college. If I was your boss, and I read a post by you on a public internet forum saying how bad you thought your employer and their facilities were, you'd be having a very awkward conversation on Monday morning ...

... and to do it BEFORE you've even started is dafter still.

However, we've tried to explain, and you had the chance to edit it, but I think the time has past now.

How do you edit topics ??

How do you edit topics ??

Best to edit your posts before clicking the 'submit' button - by giving some thought to what you're about to post onto the worldwide web for everyone to read, rather than just letting every thought that crosses your mind pour out through your mouth/keyboard ...

Best way to edit something?

Write it but don't send it! Engage brain before writing, try to be non-confrontational, never risk "hostages to fortune" (look that up) and then still don't post it until the following day whenever possible.

On BR there is an edit button when you post anything and one of the serious drawbacks with posting anything on the web is that a moments enthusiasm can last a lifetime and, were I still involved with FE, I definitely would take a note of names.

I am too old to worry about whatever I write, as some may have noticed, but then....... youth has always been wasted on the young, innit.

Have a look at this topic which is much like yours. My advice would be stick in. Finish off all your education, get as many grades as possible when young because 10 years down the line when someone with the qualifications gains a job you want, you might not want to be in education as much as you do now.

Stick with education when your young.

2p's worth.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived