New Staging Regulations?

Snailtrail

I was chatting to a guy at PLASA and he said that there were some new staging regulations coming in to force soon which would be tightly clamped down on. I think he was talking about portable / temporary staging blocks (well, that's what he was selling!). Does anyone else know about this? Can you point me to somewhere that has the details??

Sam

Ah yes, I bumped into that bloke.

The regulations he was talking about (very heatedly in fact) only apply to areas to which the public have access - things like auditoriums and exhibition halls.

Something along the lines of any staging over 35cm needs a barrier, and things under 10cm need something else (white lining?) as they are a trip hazard.

I couldn't get out of him what the regulations were/are actually called though.

Ah yes, I bumped into that bloke.

The regulations he was talking about (very heatedly in fact) only apply to areas to which the public have access - things like auditoriums and exhibition halls.

Something along the lines of any staging over 35cm needs a barrier, and things under 10cm need something else (white lining?) as they are a trip hazard.

I couldn't get out of him what the regulations were/are actually called though.

'Technical Standards for Places of Entertainment' mentions a number of things including...

D2.01 That barriers should be provided to all stairs, ramps, landing balconies, galleries and other changes of level exceeding 380mm

The so called Yellow Book is likely to be adopted by all local councils once they take over licencing duties next year and as such will form the technical basis for any venues entertainment licence.

The so called Yellow Book is likely to be adopted by all local councils once they take over licencing duties next year and as such will form the technical basis for any venues entertainment licence.

Our new seating nearly fell foul of our (firm but fair) licensing inspector, despite me adhering tediously to the book's formulae for travelling distances, width of gangways etc when planning the new seating configuration. He'd never heard of the the Yellow/Green Books. Pleased to hear it'll be uniformly adopted soon.

Our new seating nearly fell foul of our (firm but fair) licensing inspector, despite me adhering tediously to the book's formulae for travelling distances, width of gangways etc when planning the new seating configuration. He'd never heard of the the Yellow/Green Books. Pleased to hear it'll be uniformly adopted soon.

At the end of the day it will be down to your local council if they adopt it. However, since it was drawn up in conjunction with the District Surveyors Association one would like to think they will adopt it. If they don't then you will probably have a very good case to argue against any decision they make.

Archived