Low Cost, Acceptable Quality Dynamic Vocal Mics

smalljoshua

I'm getting to need a few more of these "workhorse" mics. I've considered something along the likes of the SM58 but for what I'm doing I don't see the point in spending circa £85 on a single mics when Ive seen some sets of 3 or 5 for less than that.

Ideally I'd like to be able to get them without switches and with clips included but I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm looking for experience and suggestions of mics to look at. First hand experience is handy but any makes and models to look at would be helpful too.

Many Thanks

Josh

Well, first off I don't personally recommend going for the cheapest. Generally with microphones the good ones will pay for themselves in terms of a far longer life. In my mic box I have a number of items that are now well over 20 years old and still going strong. None of my ventures into "cheap and cheerful" have lasted anything like that.

However, if you're set on this course, two mics I'd look at are the Shure PG48 and the AKG D5. I've used both on various occasions when helping out friends with their own gear and both perform fine in the real world.

Bobbsy

It may not be what you have in mind but I have 8 Behringer XM8500 mics. They're in daily use over the last 5 years or so. They actually sound quite good. They came in boxes with reasonable clips. They stand up to school use and are priced so I don't need to bother. They have a mellow sound. Of course, there is the B word. Get over that though and they do a job.

I recently made a similar enquiry. I purchased 3 X Red5 RVD30's (£36 each) which are on offer 3 for the price of 2. They appear to be sturdy mics, at least as heavy as an SM58. I have tried them against an SM58 and they arn't too dissimilar in sound but I haven't tried them yet at a gig yet.

I also bought a Sennheiser e835 which are available at around £60 from various suppliers. This also seems comparible with an SM58.

Regards, Steve

Thanks for all of your replies. I've looked at the E835 and I've got a couple, however I don't think there is much reason in getting any more than the couple I've got as most of the work I have intended for these new mics is sending out with a DJ packages and the likes. I'll look at the other mid range offerings that have been bounced around here though as these might be handy too.

Cheers

Josh

Is a switched mic such a problem for a DJ?

I've heard that the Behringers are good for the money, although I've not tried them personally. We've also had groups through that use the Red5 vocal dynamics and their technician was very happy for the price too.

Personally I've got a few E385 / E845s and I've never been overly impressed with the tone of them - the E835 isn't so bad but to my ears the 845 needs a fair amount of EQ to make it sound unobtrusive.

Just to add to this - I could be persuaded to part with the Sennheisers for around £30/piece if they work for you and you are looking for more.

if its just for DJs Id go for the red5s.

if you think it'll see any other uses the consider the AKG D5s, they sound really quite good, excellent gbf, fairly low cost. no switch good clip as you wanted- in fact the only problem/downside iv ever had with them is it really looks like you can fit two in the pencil case style bag it comes in (as you can with 58s in their bags, top and tail) it really looks like its going to fit - then the zip comes off in your hand, my d5s now travel in 58 pouches. but if the only thing I can complain about in a mic is its pouch then theyve done something right

Although they will be used for DJs, I do want them to be usable on other gigs where I need a couple of OK mics as get out of jail free cards. I can't seem to find the D5s for less than about £46 is that right?

I'm starting to like the idea of getting a few of the D5s and just using them as an overall upgrade to what I already have.

Cheers for the advice.

Josh

That sounds about right, I may have paid abit more than that for mine.

Bare its AKG not a budget brand, iv noticed alot of threads where they're recommended as 'better than 58' type threads lately, its not going to be as cheap as something like the red5, but it'll be more rider friendly.

Archived