Opinions on low cost active speakers

Ian Cunningham

Dear All I'm trying to source a pair of low cost active speakers on behalf of a local am-dram company.

They will be used mainly as a vocal PA for their cabaret/music performances plus possibly for their theatre performances (they already have a pair of K&F Ca106'sand a powered mixer for the theatre that will double as stage monitors for the music PA (or indeed as FOH cabs for small shows)

The budget is around £500-£600 cabs should be reasonably light.and therefore probably plastic, don't need deep bass (12" is probably as big as we'd want to go), ability to take a mic input would be usefull

It's not a market that I know that well (too used to D&B or my own Kling and Freitags!)

I'm drawn towards some of the DB technologies range but am open so suggestions from those who know that market better than me.

I had a very brief listen to some Wharfdale Titan12 actives and thought they sounded harsh but maybe I'm expecting too much for the money

Opinions from anyone who owns/uses something silimlar would be especially appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ian Cunningham

The mackie thumps are quite good. Also some still knocking around branded as Tapco Thumps.

There 15" but fit your price range and they have a nice sound plus you always have the room to use them for bigger venues as they will deliver that bit more punch.

I think with most actives you might want to purchase a smalling mixing desk for mics.

Hi there, I've been through all these options with my local leisure centre who wanted a pair of actives for the aerobics instructor at that sort of budget - only options I came up with were the Wharfedale Titans (harsh, harsh, harsh is how I would describe them) or the Mackie Thumps.

In the end I gave up and let them order up Titans online, as at least that way the sound they produce doesn't get associated with me!

Good luck searching, but I'm afraid in that price bracket there's not much difference in sound quality!

Steven.

I'm a fan of the dBTechnologies stuff, I've got a few Basic 100s and have heard the 400s. They're nice enough speakers. I wasn't A/Bing them at the time so couldn't comment to well on harshness but they sounded fine to my ears.

Josh

I have a fair few pairs of the W Audio PSR12A

They a well made, sturdy and reliable (never heard of any going wrong) they can stand abuse too, I hire mine out to kids and ravers who I know will have everything turned up! As a bonus they include bags for them (they can also be used in the bags too) LOoking around £500 a pair for the 12's and a little bit more for the 15's. (although my experience has only been with the 12's)

+1 for the PSR12A. Had a similar requirement for a town public hall where the local am-drams perform. Tried out a few different makes but the PSR12A came out best in terms of clarity at volume. The originals aren't that light at about 30kg but there is a new version out now called the PSR12A Neo which weighs in at about 16kg. Haven't done a sound test with them but note the frequency response only goes down to 65hz whereas the originals go down to 50 hz

Got to say, Ian, that that is where I say to my customer that it is "not my market sector" and bow out gracefully, reputation intact. Remember also that when they go wrong, its you that they will come back to.

Steve

Archived