Moving Head Projector

bigbert

Hello guys, having a mental black.

I remember a few months ago on I came across a Video Projector Mount which you could control pan and tilt etc via DMX. (it looked like a moving head with a gap for a projector to be fitted

Does this fixture have a technical name because I cant find it anywhere on thomann

Cheers

I remember a few months ago on I came across a Video Projector Mount which you could control pan and tilt etc via DMX.

Not sure what else you would control on it other than Pan and Tilt?

(it looked like a moving head with a gap for a projector to be fitted

Not come across this, as above Robe and High end produce projectors with the versatility of a moving fixture however this is a complete unit not just a yoke.

Stage Electrics distribute a product by Apollo named Right Arm with is just that, an arm, controlled by DMX. Not sure you'd get a projector on it, we just put a camera on a custom bracket. However just looked it up, it does advertise the ability to mount projector. It's horrible to mount and level on a truss due to a poor hook clamp, despite being custom manufactured by Doughty.

http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/product.aspx?code=557-4371

Some examples...

HES DL.2 (Out of production)

HES DL.3

HES DL.3f

HES Catalyst mirror (old but still made, not a head, but the image position can be controlled via the mirror)

Barco/HES DML 1200

Robe Digispot 3000

Robe Digispot 5000 (may be out of production, not too sure)

Robe Digispot 7000

Mmover (Not too sure about this one... saw it once and once only. A little ugly, it was definitely a projector though. The name may be wrong!)

Remember too that fixtures like these are Media Servers and projectors encased together in many cases so they take ALOT of DMX channels to control. From the ones I know, you would be lucky to get 2/3 on a universe. And now with the new software coming out for the DL.3 increasing the layer amount, that might even be reduced to 1 per universe. If you have any more queries regarding the above products please feel free to post :g: I am sure we are all happy to help :)

Best Regards,

Not sure what else you would control on it other than Pan and Tilt?

Quite a bit actually. The easiest would be a mechanical shutter. Depending on the projector you could interface via RS-232, Ethernet or emulate the IR remote if no other options. So you might be able to control motorised zoom and focus, Keystone, lens shift, input source, lamp on/off and anything else that can be remotely controlled.

I'm not saying there is a product that can do this off the shelf. But it is technically feasible.

Quite a bit actually....

I'll confess to not having thought of these things, however they aren't actually done by the arm/mount itself, if would simply act as a trigger mechanism. You do however raise a good point.

Along those lines, the Apollo right arm linked to previously has 2 4pin XLR's to allow scroller or other accessory operation.

Hi,

I had the same problem, how to get digital lighting without a new mortgage, I love the robe & the high end heads but I run a small company and this was totally out of my reach. My first step was to get my hands on some original orbital heads and catalyst servers, I then got hold of some BARCO g5s, and presto!- digital lighting for less than a house. This was not ideal though, the BARCOs were huge by modern standards, difficult, and expensive to maintain, but it was enough to whet my appetite. The catalyst 2.1s were by contrast ideal, because they were an early version they do not take up entire universes, just 57 channels, so if you are bright you can conceivably run them of a relatively simple desk, I would however say that as with all intelligent lighting the better the control the better the output.

I had to expand it and make it more manageable to make it viable to present to my clients, I managed to track down more high end orbital heads, and some arena view heads (same thing, marketed by BARCO), the BARCOs were replaced by sanyo xp100L with custom made cradles to take the heads giving each head a respectable 6.5K lumens output, and within a few months I had exactly what I needed. It wasn’t particularly cheap, but compared to the cost of even used DLs ore robes it was a pittance. We now have a six head system and I am currently debating, weather to update to a cat 4.2 or axon, although I would say that without a doubt as a lighting system with video it is superb. It is for hire, at a reasonable cost f you are interested, with the sanyos or you can use your own projectors or servers, we can provide any other server you like and a control system too. PM me if you would like to know more

Archived