USB Sound Card for playback

wmcalin

Hi All

I've recently repaired a couple of speakers within a nightclub and installed

a Formula sound limiter..... went into the venue over the weekend to have a listen when the place was busy...

The limiter was working fine but there was a distorted sound when one of the DJ's was performing !!!!! :angry:

Noticed he was coming straight out of the headphone jack, I first throught it was gain structure... to much pre amp signal but this seemed fine although the laptop was flat out.... backed the output off to around 80% but no difference.

I put a passive DI box in thinking it might be mains related but this made no differenece........ so I think it must be the on-board sound card/laptop problem

Can anyone suggest a decent USB external sound card, this is only required for playback. I've searched google but there are 100s all with various reviews. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Are you suggesting that the venue (or you) purchase a USB soundcard for use on the visiting DJ's computers?

If so I wouldn't bother to be honest, unless you fancy spending your time as IT tech support. What may work fine on one machine may well kick up a big fuss on another- or you may even get the situation where W1ndows drops the card midway through the night, if the computer is a bit iffy.

Of course, I may have completely got the wrong end of the stick- if so please let me know :angry:

The latest CPC flyer that arrived a couple of days ago had a USB - stereo XLRs in & out widget which might do the job. Class compliant so no drivers and balanced outs which should help with any potential ground loop issues. I've not tried it so can't speak from experience but it looked like the kind of thing that might be useful in this scenario.

David's comments are of course very valid though.

Are you suggesting that the venue (or you) purchase a USB soundcard for use on the visiting DJ's computers?

If so I wouldn't bother to be honest, unless you fancy spending your time as IT tech support. What may work fine on one machine may well kick up a big fuss on another- or you may even get the situation where W1ndows drops the card midway through the night, if the computer is a bit iffy.

Of course, I may have completely got the wrong end of the stick- if so please let me know :angry:

Hi David... the management within the club were concerned about the sound quality... so trying to be helpful

I double checked the setup and suggested the DJ should consider an external sound card or not use the current laptop...]

[Hi David... the management within the club were concerned about the sound quality... so trying to be helpful

I double checked the setup and suggested the DJ should consider an external sound card or not use the current laptop...]

Understandably the management are concerned, but it is really the DJ's problem if the sound system is otherwise up to scratch. The management need to tell the DJ to sort his kit out or get another DJ who's gear is up to scratch :huh:

They are probably paying peanuts..... :angry:

By all means talk to the DJ and make suggestions :unsure: I can recommend the MAYA44 USB LINKY and the GIGAPORT USB LINKY

I personally use the MAYA44 and the old version of the GIGAPORT for DJing :(

The latest CPC flyer that arrived a couple of days ago had a USB - stereo XLRs in & out widget which might do the job. Class compliant so no drivers and balanced outs which should help with any potential ground loop issues. I've not tried it so can't speak from experience but it looked like the kind of thing that might be useful in this scenario.

David's comments are of course very valid though.

I have tried this unit and it works great

Archived