Newbie in need of help with DMX control of KAM Powerbars

Jon18

Sorry if this is a totally stupid posting but I'm very much a newbie and struggling with the technology

I have invested in a pair of KAM Powerbars for lighting my band and although the foot switch control has been fine for general lighting I felt it was time to go a bit further and and borrowed a Stage 24 Scene Setter to be able to - well, set scenes I suppose :-)

Afraid though that it has got the better of me and although I'm reading through both manuals I can't get the par cans to respond at all.

I appear to be able to get the desk programmed but I'm obviously not setting up the bar properly - it seems to be in DMX mode OK but I don't know if I'm not setting it up correctly to address each par can or what :-(

Now in a totally confused state and going round in circles and any help greatly appreciated.

Firstly,

Just try setting the address to 1. Use only one par, one cable, directly into the desk. Have a play about with that and get that working, then slowly start adding more pars.

A silly thing that has got me before, is that the switches on the dip-switches have been upside down, Have a close look, the word "on" should be written in one of the corners.

Good luck, and let us know how you are getting on!

HTH

AndyJones

I saw one of these in a local store on Thursday..

As an owner, how do you rate them, as I might invest in a pair?

Would I be correct in assuming the light output is equivalent to an average PAR 56 can?

Hi Andy

Many thanks for the time .

I had gone for the KAM Power bar instead of separate pars as they "seemed" idiot proof and I didn't have to ( or couldn't) set up each individually.

Unfortunately I had underestimated my level of stupidity when trying to sort out both the bars and program the desk at the same time :-(

The answer ( once I had stood back from it yet again) was of course in the 4 page manual I had read and re-read, but obviously not quite taken in -

I'm almost too embarrassed to admit it but I had managed to turn down the master dimmer (on channel 2 ) when I was mucking about with the desk each time - Doh! Working now though and out tonight to set them in anger

Thanks again for your time - much appreciated

Cheers

Jon

Firstly,

Just try setting the address to 1. Use only one par, one cable, directly into the desk. Have a play about with that and get that working, then slowly start adding more pars.

A silly thing that has got me before, is that the switches on the dip-switches have been upside down, Have a close look, the word "on" should be written in one of the corners.

Good luck, and let us know how you are getting on!

HTH

AndyJones

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I saw one of these in a local store on Thursday..

As an owner, how do you rate them, as I might invest in a pair?

Would I be correct in assuming the light output is equivalent to an average PAR 56 can?

To be honest I haven't really done a proper comparison but have heard that said of them . They are certainly a lot brighter than the KAM's Parbar ( which I've used for general wash a small quartet gigs) and give me flexibility for the 14 piece band.

Other reasons I went for the powerbar on the end really was that they didn't take up as much room in the car and they certainly set up quickly.

I had also looked at the Stairville HL-X High-Power LED Washlight from Thomann which I'd used before for a general wash but didn't didn't have the same flexibility.

I see that Thomann now also have a very similar bar with 3W RGB TRI-Color LEDs which is coming in cheaper that the KAMs and you might want to check them out.

Cheers

Jon

The obvious question is whether your units are 5 or 3 pin ins/outs.

If both are 5 pin then the signal orientation SHOULD be correct, but if EITHER of them has a 3-pin XLR then there's a high chance that there could well be a reversal.

Search here for DMX reversal or look at the Wiki for more info there, as it's been covered MANY times.

EDIT: A quick Google shows me that the Power bar IS 3-pin, so there's your starting point.

Archived