replace a Dead Frog

andycat

We have a faulty Zero88 Frog desk, around 7 years old, that has started playing up. I've re flashed the memory and tried a new power supply etc, but Zero88 says it's probably knackered.

It seizes between scenes, and will only work manually.

What would be a realistic replacement? We have 4 dimmers (12 channel each) but only have enough electric to run 21kw anyway so can never double up without something tripping!

As ever, money is an issue. What would plug in and go for pretty basic school use? No movers or LED's.

Andy

Keeping with the zero 88 'theme' why dont you go for somthing like a jester or along those lines. As you say, money may be an issue, but may be worth a look.

May I add that it is good that the title of this topic was placed on a technical fourm, I can only think of the replies that you would get anywhere else!! ;)

Are you looking to buy brand new or would you consider second hand?

What sort of budget falls under the "money is an issue" category?

Are movers ever likely to be hired in the future?

What kind of events do you mostly do?

Are you looking for a real console or would you consider PC based?

Cheers!

Tom

Are you looking to buy brand new or would you consider second hand?

What sort of budget falls under the "money is an issue" category?

Are movers ever likely to be hired in the future?

What kind of events do you mostly do?

Are you looking for a real console or would you consider PC based?

Cheers!

Tom

Thanks for the pm's and phone calls already guys, a bit more info!

We're a school and 6th form, we do GCSE and A level drama etc. but also hire out the hall for events. General day to day use is for drama and assemblies etc. We do a musical or big play every year and perhaps 4 or 5 other "big" events in school, but the space is used for conferences, dance shows, Asian Weddings, fashion shows and alsorts at evening and during the holidays.

We use 1kw Pars and standard lights, but have a very limited electrical supply, 100 amps I think. The desk gets moved between control room and stage (drama theatre) almost weekly, and we can only ever run 20-26 lights or we start tripping things. The lights have to be so powerful due to the height of the rigs. Electricians have quoted us £10,000 to get a bigger supply, so this is a no go completely.

The Hall is huge. As in badly designed, lot of wasted space, lighting rig too high etc. The stage is similar, as it also doubles as the drama teaching room. All built 7 years ago exactly to minimum requirements!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2927...mp;id=506322265 is a picture from the control room that explains a lot!

I have no allegiance to Zero88, and really I only just understand the basics as I'm more noise than lights!

Thanks for your help!

The Hall is huge. As in badly designed, lot of wasted space, lighting rig too high etc. The stage is similar, as it also doubles as the drama teaching room. All built 7 years ago exactly to minimum requirements!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2927...mp;id=506322265 is a picture from the control room that explains a lot!

As an aside, that's *very* similar to a school space local to me, only it has a 300A supply but less dimmers than you.

Regarding your desk replacement, is the option to buy used viable? It could save you a lot on cost new..

Personally I'd replace it with another (newer) frog - everyone there already knows how to operate it and gives you the flexibility to operate scrollers / led / movers in the future if they're hired in.

Alternatively something like the Jester would probably be ideal?

Hi Andy

There are quite a few products which I could recommend for you look at from the Philips Entertainment range. If you wanted to give me a quick call or email on +44 7918 740 933 or amber.tomlin@philips.com when you get a chance I can discuss with you some of options available to you. :D

Hopefully hear from you soon.

Kindest Regards

Amber

Have you actually sent it to Zero 88 for repair? They're a reputable company and surely should be able to fix their own products - if not, we'd all like to know why!

+1 for repair. 7 years is nothing for a reputable lighting desk. I have recently sold a Sirius in full working order, well over 20 years old. Zero88's support is really excellent.

Nigel

+1 for repair. 7 years is nothing for a reputable lighting desk. I have recently sold a Sirius in full working order, well over 20 years old. Zero88's support is really excellent.

Thirded. They're even not adverse to talking you through repairs by e-mail or phone if you ask.

100 amps isn't really that limited, if your load is purely resistive (which lamps are) you should be able to run just over 20KW with no worries. Don't forget you can rig more lights than you have KW's because you won't ever have them all on at once.

Archived