Pyro Insurance

jenniem

Hi

I've been part of a team using stage pyros for a while now and have been approached to do some freelance pyros for a local company - the only snag is that I would need my own insurance. Could anyone recommend somewhere to get this insurance - if its possible?

Many thanks

Roy at the insurance experts Tel. 01245 500433 or

Torrribles Insurance Brokers Ltd Phone: 0117-921 1806

First two are the main pyro insurers, you may find one of the film and related industry companies will cover you

Possibly

Insurex Expo-Sure Telephone: 020 7448 6332

I to have enquired about the PLI that BECTU offer. Especially interested in the pyro cover.

I found out that the policy specifies that it only covers you to the duties of your grade, so unless you are a senior technician or supervisor on there grading scheme you are technically not covered if you fire an effect - as only these higher grades are allowed to press the fire button!

So do check the policy out first!

Dan

I seem to recall that the last time I looked at the small print, you needed a BECTU approved supervisor present to "validate" the insurance. To my mind, unless you are going purely into the film and tv world, the BECTU route is pretty worthless.

You may find that your current PLI broker will be able to add an extension onto your current policy. Certainly back in the day, I was able to add a limited amount of pyro-firing turnover onto my lighting tech insurance for a very reasonable amount.

Archived