Just started out in lighting..

Humey

I want to know more about stage lighting, I currently work in the technical side of theate at a school. I have a background of sound and music and know how lights work, what a dimmer is, how to use the desk (basics really!) but what I want to know more about is all the jargon ie electrical terms, what each piece of equipment does etc etc...are there any good reference books or material for me to start. It's best for me to start at the very basics, like I know nothing!

I really want to learn more, lighting seems more creative and plus through years of loud music...my live sound isn't tip top!

Any help would be great..

This topic will help you with your reading list. Jargon is quite easy to decipher with the aid of a search engine and we'd be very happy to answer any questions which are a little more specific.

BTW: To everyone who is unaware (which seems to be most people!) ie means "this and nothing else" whereas eg means "this and others". So "I want to know about jargon, ie electrical" would mean I only want to know about electrical jargon whereas "I want to know about jargon, eg electrical" would mean I want to know about various types of jargon including electrical" which I'm guessing is what you meant. Sorry to be a pedant, but I thought it might help others too as ie crops up all over the place at the moment and is only used correctly less than 50% of t he time. :unsure: Sorry! :)

P.S. Both ie and eg should have dots after each letter but the BR software changes the first I to upper case if you do that and that annoys me more than the lack of dots!

ie means "this and nothing else" whereas eg means "this and others"

Or use the long hand exempli gratia / id est. Or English.

To the OP, as you say you are employed at a school / college have you thought about using any training budget available to get further training? ABTT offers some good courses that may well offer a good start for you in to theatre electrics, see Bronze / Silver (Lighting). Stage Electrics also offer courses, and may others.

Archived