Simple test rig for Speakon outputs..

RoyS

Hi All,

I work In a venue that that always requires a fair bit of fault finding ahead of the gig. With this in mind I have various test gigs to help. I now want to put together a Speakon to headphone adaptor to test the output of an active monitor amp rack. Simply put, I want to connect the LF to one side and the HF to the other. Obviously I don’t plan to put large volumes though DT100 (or similar) cans, so would like to put in a simple sort of resistor arrangement (inside a connector if poss) to reduce the volume and help protect the cans..

Can anyone offer help here? All suggestions gratefully received…

Cheers Guys..

Roy

If you have something to check the wedges themselves (ie a speakon to bare ends (each pair taped together into pairs labelled with number or frequency band) and a 9v battery - cheap and dam near idiot proof) by checking the speaker box, and cable run (test wedge down cable with barrell as needed) then youve already isolated the problem to the rack as everything after the rack works and you'll see signal lights on the processor and amp (at which point your down to volume knob on the amp or patching) without needing to have your headphones.

I think your over complicating something that you can already do with equipment that either you already have or, if you are building up test gear, will have soon.

Can anyone offer help here? All suggestions gratefully received…

Hi Roy,

the resistor values you need will depend on which version of the DT100s you have. They make them in different impedance values which, IIRC, are marked on the cans themselves. Or, as an idea, how about a little plastic box which goes in line to the cans with a volume control on it. With that you could adjust it if you were listening out for quiet signals on a noisy stage. It'd be easy to fit a basic limiter to protect the cans if the know was set to max.

Archived