I was browsing through the other day and read some comments made to user asking about electrical qualifications.

I recently qualified and obtained my C+G 2330. I served my apprenticeship with an electrical firm doing mainly commercial new builds.

At the beginning of the year I moved to a firm that provides lighting design and implementation to gigs/festivals etc.

I have been thinking about investing in the 2391 course on and off for a while.

Currently my position is in the workshop repairing equipment and the intelligent lighting, much more electronics than in my previous work! It's a great opportunity to really get to know the equipment and find out how it all works.

Being relatively new to the industry, I am still looking at what rolls are available and I'm not sure exactly where Ill end up. Eventually though, I do hope to apply my knowledge in a more on site roll.

I am wandering if it's worth investing in the 2391. Although I possibly wouldn't be putting it to use immediately, I feel I'm in a good position right now both financially and while my 2330 is still fairly fresh in my mind.

I have also been considering an electronics course at one of our local collages.

If you have any thoughts I'd love to hear any input.

Cheers,

J.

Not a bad idea, 2391 is genereally recognised as providing proof of competence in the testing of electrical installations. On of these days the reqirement in the regs relating to exhibitions shows and stands "Temporary installations shall be inspected and tested by a competent person after each assembly" will probably be extended to all live events and may even be taken seriously by event organisers.....

I teach the C&G2330 and the two courses that are normally considered to follow on from it are the C&G 2382 and the C&G2391. The C&G2382 shows that you understand the 17th regs and the C&G2391 is about inspection and testing and are part of the qualifications that allow you to inspect and then certify an installation. If you enjoyed your 2330 (!) then you would probably enjoy the 2391. It will last for about ten weeks of evening classes, one night a week and will cost several hundred pounds. There will be an on-line multiple choice test at the end and a practical assignment where you undertake an inspection ond testing of an installation simulation rig.

My students think that inspection and testing is very complicated because of all the forms you have to fill in and all the things writen about it in the On-Site-Guide on how to do it, but it is simply a logical approach to showing that an electrical installation will work properly and safely. The main thing for the exam is that the terminology has to be fully understood and used accurately.

If you have the time and the money I would recommend it. I found mine very helpful in understand electrical installations. Also, as you are probably aware, the 17th regs has just come out, so your C&G2391 will probably be useful as a qualification for the next ten years or so. Mine was for the 16th regs so is now out of date. However I'm retiring this year so ---- -!!

Justa quick comment, I thought the C&G 2391 was a written exam and not a multiple choice exam

you are correct, 2391 is a level 3 2hr written, closed book exam.

very very hard, if you are not experienced ,I would advise that you get get some beforehand.

the course has a low pass rate as people do not give it the respect/time it deserves.

regards

matt

(who has 2391) :unsure:

Justa quick comment, I thought the C&G 2391 was a written exam and not a multiple choice exam

you are correct, 2391 is a level 3 2hr written, closed book exam.

very very hard, if you are not experienced ,I would advise that you get get some beforehand.

the course has a low pass rate as people do not give it the respect/time it deserves.

regards

matt

(who has 2391) :)

And I believe it is also has a negitive marking applied for example do not answer a question "MARKs OFF" get an answer wrong " MARKS OFF"

Derek

who has 2391 :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

The exam is not an easy one to pass, however if you put the work in then it is fairly straight forwards.

I believe the national average pass rate for the written exam is usually in the 40% region.

Best thing I found was to get hold of a few past papers and try to answer them, then look the answers up in the book.

Paul

who has 2391 ;)

As I understand it there is now a 2392 available which is a kind of stepping stone to 2391. I was told this qualification was introduced as so many people were failing 2391. It may be worth looking at this first.

If I was in your position I would definitely gain this qualification, there is much money to be had even now from understanding the nature of temporary entertainment installs and being able to inspect them.

• 2 weeks later...
As I understand it there is now a 2392 available which is a kind of stepping stone to 2391. I was told this qualification was introduced as so many people were failing 2391. It may be worth looking at this first.

If I was in your position I would definitely gain this qualification, there is much money to be had even now from understanding the nature of temporary entertainment installs and being able to inspect them.

The 2382 replaced the 2381 which is now the seventeenth edition, therefore the 2392 replaced the 2391.

the 2391 now the 2392 is meant to be hard as with this qualification any building in the uk can be inspected and tested, making it easier would make it more dangerous.

I hold the 2360,2381 and 2391 in my portfolio cheers

Apologies for the duff gen re written paper, not multiple choice. It is written of course as said here. When I did mine it was a simple multiple choice, so things have got harder for the student. I think you also have to do a written project, but again I don't know the details.

2392 is a level 2 course, which the National Qualifications Framework shows to be at GCSE grade C or better. The 2391 is level 3, equivalent to AS or A level.

It's sometimes worth looking at what the criteria are:

Level 2 qualifications recognise the ability to gain a good knowledge and understanding of a subject area of work or study, and to perform varied tasks with some guidance or supervision. Learning at this level involves building knowledge and/or skills in relation to an area of work or a subject area and is appropriate for many job roles.

Level 3 qualifications recognise the ability to gain, and where relevant apply a range of knowledge, skills and understanding. Learning at this level involves obtaining detailed knowledge and skills. It is appropriate for people wishing to go to university, people working independently, or in some areas supervising and training others in their field of work.

• 3 weeks later...
the 2391 now the 2392 is meant to be hard as with this qualification any building in the uk can be inspected and tested, making it easier would make it more dangerous.

I disagree entirely with this statement. Even with the C&G2391 qualification it does not give you technical experience and knowledge to carry out inspection, testing and certification of any building in the UK.

Archived