How to plot on jester ml?

MobileMikey

Hi people,

We've just gotten a Jester ML which I need to learn to program by sunday. Iv only had a quick look at it tonight but I have a few questions already. Im familiar with the fat frog so I understand all the patching and fixture control aspects of it. However we have the ML version with no channel faders. How can I plot a scene of generic lights without these faders? I know it can be done one channel at a time, but I noticed an abscence of THRU or @ buttons. I havnt used the desk at all yet so my questions might seem a little silly tomorrow but im online now so I thought id ask. Thanks for reading

Mick

I believe the JesterML was intended to be used *alongside* a Jester ... They make an ML48 or something as well which has the generics control from the normal Jester along with the features of the JesterML built in.

I know that it is intended primarily for movers but my question was can it be used to program generic scenes or do I need to use a wing. It makes no sense to me to have to lug a fatfrog around just to plot a show. The idea behind getting the jester was so we wouldnt have to! maybe shouldve splashed out on a strand? :P

heres the manual that will tell you all you need to know.

http://common.zero88.com/public/files/7340..._Manual_3_0.pdf

you can certainly patch upto 30 dimmer channels over the pages of fixtures. get yourself a usb keyboard to speed up the process. if you then have more dimming channels you could pair them up to DMX addresses

...we have the ML version with no channel faders...

Answering my own question as to which version you have. It's the ML. An odd choice if you've got a load of generics as well as movers.

Not my own personal choice im afraid. The ml was bought so we can hire out movers and a good small desk to control them with, but im doing sound and lx in a show in a church with very little space for desks, and the fat frog is very big. I was hoping to use 4 moving wash lights for ambience instead of the led pars I used last year, purely because its not a well paying job in a venue that is far from ideal and im trying to cut back on setup time. Im considering trying to light the entire show with movers, its not very technical, I used about 5 generic profiles from FOH last year and led pars for background lighting. I have 2 robe 575s washes and 4 mac250s, any thoughts?

I have 2 robe 575s washes and 4 mac250s, any thoughts?

I am confussed.

Your original post asked about Generics as well as Movers and now you say you only have 2 * 575 Washs and 4 Mac 250's so the ML is fine for this. What do you need the Generics for you dont seem to have any ???????

no thats just the movers I have at my disposal. I have stacks of generics and leds also,. I wouldnt have needed to start this thread if I didnt have any

Now dont be checky I would have bothered reading the thread if it wanst clear. Only trying to understand to help ( I have a lot of Zero knolwedge) hence trying to understand.

Hi Mikey

My advice would be to bring along a fader-based desk for programming. It sounds like you have a Fat Frog available - this would be perfect. Just patch the Frog 1:1 on the dimmers and plug it into the DMX-In port on the Jester. If space is a premium during the performance, you can then take this away and just replay the cue stack using the GO button. Just make sure you patch the generic channels as well as have them active on the DMX input - details of this are in the user manual - if you don't have the channels patched, when you replay the scenes, the channels will simply snap between cues. If patched, the channels will behave as you expect and follow the fade times.

Note that without a DMX input present, it's impossible to use the Submasters functions to fade scenes up and down, although you can use the Multi Function Keys to latch these scenes on and off if this is all you require.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any further questions on the Jester ML or any Zero 88 product,

Kind Regards,

If space is a premium during the performance, you can then take this away and just replay the cue stack using the GO button.

I may need to be able to control on the fly so this is maybe not an option, I have a eurolight 24ch desk can this be used as a wing? its not a good desk but if its only to be used as a DMX controller it might be ok?

Thanks for all the info your help is much appreciated.

@bjkered, sorry if I came across as cheeky it wasnt intended

Archived