Quiz Logic Circuit

weedkiller

Making a set in local village hall for a "Mr & Mrs" game as seen on TV. My problem is with the paddle section where the couple stands in adjoining booths and answer questions about who is best at ....whatever, by each holding up a pink or blue paddle. Points for a match (2 pinks or 2 blues) no points for difference. Because the audience sightlines are restricted by the booth divider, I would like to build an electronic equivalent using buttons, lights and sounds and anyway why keep it simple if it can be done with electrons?

I would prefer to use simple stuff like relays and diodes as it leaves me with a wider range of operating voltage. I thought of the two way household hall and landing lights switch cicuit where both on (match) or both off(match) makes the [MATCH] light (and buzzer)come on. Also a simultaneous circuit operated by double pole switches but with the centre wires crossed would operate the [NO MATCH] light and buzzer. I should be able to replace the double pole switches with multipole relays and some kind of latching circuit operated by buttons in each booth but haven't just got there yet so seeking inspiration from Blue-Roomers.

Suggestions Welcome Please!

So, the switch only version...

post-207-1268221007_thumb.jpg

...and a version using relays with push buttons and interlocking...

post-207-1268222133_thumb.jpg

...this is one booths worth and uses two more pairs of contacts as in the original diagram to do the match/no-match display.

Somewhat posher all buttons arrangement, which uses lots of relays, but nothing needing more than double pole, and most single pole, so easily and cheaply available.

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/mrmrs_lights.gif

Edited to add - this is a 1am drawing, so it may be bugged to hell and back ;)

And further edited that I've just noticed that relays A thru D only use one pole, so the second set of normally open contacts of (A+B paralleled) and (C+D paralleled) could be used to remove the need for relay E and F altogether, along with their diodes...

The advantage of this circuit is that the parties buttons are interlocked and latching, and until both parties have voted there is no same of different lights / sounds. And no-one can change their mind!

YES!!

Brian - Thank you very much - Owe you some beer tokens for that.

I appreciate your clarity and ingenuity, where my brain got befuddled.

I need to wire it that both booths would each have one relay energised before the match/nomatch light and sound comes on. Think I can manage that bit once I start. Running off now to find some relays, buttons and nice indicator lights. Hope to post some pics if it turns out nice.

Regards

WK

Archived