SFX

Munro

Hello, I'm hunting for a sound effect that is sounds like an industrial light switch being turned on, and then turned off. I hope you know what I mean, I cant think of a good example, but like in a movie, where they go into a basement and flip the switch. You get a cruuu from the switch then, duh duh duh, as each row of lights turn on.

Thanks

Joe

I was looking for the very same thing.

I will see if I still have what I used. but the noise from a juke box was quite good.

However I was in the car about 5 days after the show and (Theme from) The Monkees, came on, and the very 1st bit (drums with some verb) sounded perfect to me.

You mean the reverby clunkthump that lights always make when being turned on in dark dismal factories, abandoned buildings and aircraft hangers in american TV series?

If so, a metal filing cabinet slammed, with some heavy reverb. Sounds very convincing and totally unlike the real thing which just goes clunk!

The second part of the sound could easily be made by recording a discharge lamp starting up, copy and reverb that a few times to sound like 'banks' of them turning on.

On second thoughts: Maybe that's too realistic and not theatrical enough! :)

Andy

Archived