Red micropore tape

James C

Slightly obscure one, this:

I need an actor to have red tape wrapped around their arms for a show. I don't want them covered in PVC tape-glue every night, so wondered if there was a more skin-friendly product available in red (micropore tape, or similar). Anyone had to source such a thing before, or happened to have come across it on their travels?

I use a 3M product called "Blenderm" to attach radio mics to actors.

It's not red, but one of the advantages is that the tape surface will take make up quite nicely. I'd think it would be an easy matter to use Blenderm and colour the tape, either with make up or maybe an acrylic paint.

Good luck!

Bob

Thanks for your responses - really needs to be red though (symbolic blood-streaks, you see). Might have to settle for red ribbon and toupe tape or something equally tedious. Spoke to 3M's Healthcare division, who suggested the blenderm, as they don't dp pretty colours.

Two thoughts,

1. Would it be possible that the actor wears long sleaved top etc, so that the lx tape doesn't actually touch the skin?

2. Maybe you could go down a completely different route and not use anything sticky at all, maybe ribbon, which would look similar and would be readily available in red. You could find another way of attaching the end, possibly velcro or magnets?!?

Two thoughts,

1. Would it be possible that the actor wears long sleaved top etc, so that the lx tape doesn't actually touch the skin?

2. Maybe you could go down a completely different route and not use anything sticky at all, maybe ribbon, which would look similar and would be readily available in red. You could find another way of attaching the end, possibly velcro or magnets?!?

Toupe tape??

• 2 weeks later...

One suggestion you've probably already thought of is...

Use red pvc tape but place the tape on some cloth...

your T-shirt would do.. then remove it and place on the skin...

this removes alot of the glue but leaves enough for it to stay attached to the skin

and means you dont get those icky black bits of glue on ur flesh every night...

hope its of some help xx

OO... Or.. Does it need to be tape? Couldn't you get the same effect from gloss stage make-up... you can get a high shine and use a roller or a brush to apply...

Whuich ever method you use.. tape or paint or whatever... I'd advise you're actor/dancer to use full body lotion or baby oil after/while showering... it'll mean help her to remove the red paint or equally to remove the glue once she's peeled off the tape. x

Thanks, all for your replies - predictably, the red tape (symbolising streaks of blood/scars) was cut during rehearsals and replaced with stage-blood. Shame, I think, given the lack of naturalism in the rest of the design, and given the amount of laundry and repainting of a white backdrop that is required :rolleyes: , but there you go.

Archived