Outside hirers of a school not able to access lighting grid

tvi675

Guest lightnix
well a good suggestion would be to speak to the technical or drama manager and see if he can focus the lantens

Sorry, but did you actually read the original post??? :unsure:

As I understand it none of the school staff will do this for us...

:wiggle:

Three things come to mind

1/ H&S being blamed again for simple bad attitude -we'll hire it to you but not to suit you

2/ Genuine H&S concern that the venue is ultimately responsible for H&S not the hirer so the venue manager WILL need to see all the documantary proof that there are competent people in all appropriate roles.

3/ Rarely will a focussed rig be put back as it was, after the show. Then the next school use of the venue needs a full refocus costing several hours of labour by the caretaker or other people

Another thought... has the school actually said going on a PASMA course would be ok?

I've done a few jobs at schools over the years where they've said you have to have gone on 'the ladder/tower course', so I flash my PASMA card in some form and they've still said oh no that's not acceptable. It has to be their course, the one all the caretakers/staff go on :(. I think bar one occasion, they eventually took my PASMA card as proof I'd had training, but that was after me spoon feeding them information, documents, website..

The moral of the story is, check if they'd accept a PASMA course as suitable training before shelling out. Obviously I'm not saying going on one regardless would be a waste of time, just you've said yourself that you have other financial commitments and if doing one now for this job would still be unacceptable to them, there's no point shelling out if you need to.

T

The way industry is going (apart from down!) is to require a paper trail to demonstrate competence. We've applied that to driving road vehicles for a long time bit it's coming in very quickly to most areas of industry. If you have a skill then maybe you NEED the piece of paper too.

An employer will not let you drive without actually seeing your driving licence, Increasingly they will not let you do electrics, ladders, scaffolding, MEWP, etc without the paper to prove training.

I know a long established pro firework person who was told by their insurer to do a specific training course to carry on doing the business he was doing. It's all part of the minimising of risk and having evidence of everything. The culture comes with today's litigatious society and no-win-no-fee free solicitors. Also IF there is an incident with incompetent people then HSE are more likely to add penalties as well as costs to the charges. And competence needs to be proven in court.

Guest lightnix
Another thought... has the school actually said going on a PASMA course would be ok?

I've done a few jobs at schools over the years where they've said you have to have gone on 'the ladder/tower course', so I flash my PASMA card in some form and they've still said oh no that's not acceptable. It has to be their course, the one all the caretakers/staff go on :(

Thanks for the heads up, Tom - I'd not heard that one before. Did they mention any particular training course, or various different ones?

It would almost certainly be a county council course, and the policy will be worded something like 'the user will have completed the county training course for scaffold work', probably to save expense of sending everyone on an external PASMA course for the sake of building a 2 tier scaffold to change the fluorescent lamps in the hall every other year.

Nick... What Jon said!

Fair point they had their own stipulated course, but apart from the one time as stated above, I was able to show PASMA exceeded the RA requirements/it was just as good. In their defence, the reason they were initially skeptical was because they'd never heard of it and with no good reason to have, they're not in the industry are they..

The one time where the school wouldn't budge, they at least understood where I was coming from but felt because PASMA wasn't stated on they're RA/insurance, they just didn't want to risk accepting it instead of a CC course.

Anyway, story time over. Hope my little note was of possible help to the OP.

T

Guest lightnix
...apart from the one time as stated above, I was able to show PASMA exceeded the RA requirements/it was just as good. In their defence, the reason they were initially skeptical was...

Thanks for the replies, chaps - looks like we're back to the huffing and blowing, then :(

Archived