Frog 2 Thread

Stu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be honest and say I dont know where Zero88 see this desk in relation to the market place... I shall wait to read their spec to see where they are placing it.

Personally from the look ( and I know it doesnt say much about it ) it looks a happy sequal or upgrade to the Frog (1) but im not sure how well it would stand in competition with little Grandma's and little Hogs

Have a word with Graham (NZ88). I'm sure he'll tell you where he sees this new desk in relation to the market place :angry:

I'm hazarding a rough guess here, but I'm thinking it's going to be in the same market as the Pearl?

Hands on buskable ML rock 'n roll type desk more than the theatre market?

Stu

Or from (frog forum) June 14th, so may not be current

Who is it aimed at? It would be easy to say Pearl users, or Hog Users or Sirius users or..... It will appeal to some users from all these segments and also some users of Strand 500s, Expressions etc. It will really depend on what you want to do and the type of show that you are doing. Like any lighting desk people who use it regularly and learn all the features will find it more useful than people who use it occassionally. As an example how many of you in the past month have learn't things on this forum about existing Frog that you didn't know? Frog II will have even more features so will take even longer to learn. I beleive that you should be able to do most medium size shows on this desk. What is medium? 40 to 60 moving heads and a bunch of pars. You could probably do more but it would then really depend on how well you knew the desk.

The problem with any lighting desk and particularly designing a new one is not just where it is aimed at, but also where those people are likely to want to go in the future.

OK, you might aim it at a user who you think might wants max 100 channels and 20 moving lights and wants to be able sit down in front of it and start programming within an hour.

But what happens next? His next show might be larger, does he want to have to learn another desk? He has learned all the features he needs to program the current show, but the next one is a bit more complicated and now he needs more feature, then more....

In my view any new lighting console aimed at this kind of market needs to cater for all these needs - simple to use for basic plotting/programming, but with more features for the more advanced operator.

I'm sure the Frog 2 will fulfill this requirement, and others too, so then it becomes a matter of personal taste, what you are used to and, of course, the range of features offered.

Just my thoughts for the night.

Andy Stone

Stagetec Distribution Ltd

Compulite UK Distributor

I wonder how Polaron's acquisition on Zero88 will affect the company's products and support over the next year. I really hope it works out well for everyone at Zero, as they have produced some really great products, especially over the last few years with Frog, and supported them very well.

Good luck guys

Martin

Hi

As far as all at Zero 88 are concerned nothing has changed. We are still previewing Frog 2 at Plasa and LDI and are looking to ship in the nearish future. We have lots of other product waiting to go into development. So I guess in answer to your question come to Plasa and see that it is the same people with the same desire to give the market what they want at a fair price.

Graham

• 4 months later...
just incase anyone hasnt seen it here's the picture.

And I suppose thats just in case no one had seen the URL linking to the picture in the very first post of this thread?

Please check previous posts to make sure your not duplicating something on the board.

Stu

I have used a Fat Frog for a year (2 x 6 month seasons), every single night, so I guess I know it well. I have never had a monitor on the end, so I may have missed out on that, but have used the remote go function to great effect.

I would like to see five things in the new desk.

1. A pool of submasters. As you program for a gig, it is hard to know what is going to be needed at any one time, and I find I play connect four in effect. At some point, I am going to want a sub on a page which is currently live with another page. So I wonder if you can record states, then on the touch screen, move your named states onto a sub, during "show" conditions even. Then if you are about to be snookered, just load it to a spare sub. Or assign them to the presets?

2. A real fader for the intensity of all/assigned moving lights, always available, a master if you will.

3. On that note, a fader for bump button levels.

4. For moving light effects to merge when chaning from one sub to another, not go to a start position then move.

5. Clever recording when building states from subs. When I am building states, sometimes subs are used with a effect running in pan/tilt. The settings do not load, and when a new state is recorded and played back, the lights are in a fixed position.

Oh, and perhaps a left handed moving light section!

Having said this, when I need to replace my lx desk, Frogs will be the only way for me!

Archived