Frog 2 Thread

Stu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on a sinlge, low-res image?! Without even knowin a detailed specification?! Wow, salesmen of all kinds must love you!! :)

My first thought is .... no labelling displays for the faders. Celco could manage to have dynamic LCD (or LED, as was the case then) alphanumeric labelling for the faders on their consoles 20 years ago - so why does a 21st century desk costing (one assumes) many thousands of pounds still oblige the user to rely on bits of PVC or camera tape for labelling up the masters?

Also, I wish they'd gone for either a trackball or proper rotary encoders rather than the Frog-style wheel arrangement (with one at right-angles to the other two). It's just personal taste/preference, of course, but I just can't get on with that arrangement.

Having said that, the design of the console does look very nice. But that's all rather meaningless until we actually know what it can do ...

Just to throw one into the works, my assumption to the lack of dynamic lcds per fader and trackballs (even though they are a pain, would rather encoder wheels) would probably be cost. These features have probably (and im making assumptions) been left off to make the desks price more appealing to its market. Frogs seem to be marketed for small theatres, colleges and schools and venues along those lines, and for them sticking a bit of pvc tape to the desk is there easiest option...

Just to throw one into the works, my assumption to the lack of dynamic lcds per fader and trackballs (even though they are a pain, would rather encoder wheels) would probably be cost. These features have probably (and im making assumptions) been left off to make the desks price more appealing to its market. Frogs seem to be marketed for small theatres, colleges and schools and venues along those lines, and for them sticking a bit of pvc tape to the desk is there easiest option...

Yes, fair point - if the omission of dynamic LCD labelling is part of a plan to keep the costs right down then I can completely see that point. But from what I've heard this console is not being pitched right down at the budget end of the market - rather, development of the Frog range is going to be continued in parallel to fill this particular niche, with the F2 aimed more into the middle of the market (I guess this would put it as a competitor to GrandMA Lite, HogPC systems, Chamsys MQ100, etc.). Well, that's what I've heard on the grapevine! And anyway, even the bottom-end Hog500 has the facility for a few characters of labelling and a display of the current Q number above each playback master!!

Personally, I'm going to reserve any further judgement until I've found out lots more about what the desk can actually do, and until we see exactly where the desk sits in the overall scheme of things in terms of price.

I will be honest and say I dont know where Zero88 see this desk in relation to the market place... I shall wait to read their spec to see where they are placing it.

Personally from the look ( and I know it doesnt say much about it ) it looks a happy sequal or upgrade to the Frog (1) but im not sure how well it would stand in competition with little Grandma's and little Hogs

for more info on the new desk, suggestions that have been put forward and comments about it from the all-knowing zero 88 gurus K-9 and Graham (NZ88- creator of Frog) have a look at this topic on the frog support website.

This is an idea for the look of the new frogf desk one member (sp) from the forum came up with:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/sp123/frog/frog2.jpg

** laughs out loud **

Sam

Archived