2 mics on a kick drum

ian hatch

I use 2 mics in kick drums all the time. be it D6 or B52 and 901 or B91. I'd be surprised if there was a tour in arenas going on at the moment that hasn't got 2 mics on kick. Audio technica's AE2500 is a mic designed for kick drums and has a dynamic mic and a condenser mic in one (its designed so that both mics are phase coherent)

• 2 weeks later...
has anyone used the Yamaha SKRM100? not very practical for live, but yields a great thump! that and your favourite beater mic make a great combination

I've been wanting to try one of these out for ages. I was considering buying one but it seemed slightly over-priced.

However, I'd welcome a gig or two with it :)

I tend to use just my D6 at smaller venues. But with the addition of a Beta 91 through a big system I get a great sound. Its just about letting each mic do what its best at, rather than trying to make it do everything.

I played about with a D112 along with the D6/Beta 91 configuration, to give me the sort of 'woodiness' you can easily get from the D112, but I ended up hardly using it.

Archived