A faster way of hand-cranking an LX winch??

james3mc

I'm about to do a get-in involving four LX bars, each on a winch. Now I know I could wind them each by hand, but I'm sure there must be a faster method. I had thought about some sort of drill attachment, but doubt that I could find a drill of low enough torque.

So, does anyone have any handy tips for faster winding of LX winch bars?

I'm about to do a get-in involving four LX bars, each on a winch. Now I know I could wind them each by hand, but I'm sure there must be a faster method. I had thought about some sort of drill attachment, but doubt that I could find a drill of low enough torque.

There are pile wind winches with a drive point for a drill, but I would not advocate using a drill on a winch not built for it.

Winding 4 bars in and out by hand is not a big deal.

An air wrench (NOT an impact wrench) might be another way, but I would be concerned about what happens to the person holding it if something jams, and you should probably limit the speed to avoid heat build up and to limit the shock load if someone runs the bar into the grid.

On a winch designed for it, fine, but I would not improvise something for a winch designed for manual operation (certainly not for the sake of 4 bars!).

Regards, Dan.

So, does anyone have any handy tips for faster winding of LX winch bars?

Hi

We have 4 winches in our venue,I find them not a problem in fact I cancelled my gym account as the exercise was good for your heart,beat the gym hands down for aerobic exercise for free as well.

Brian <_<

Yea I have to say that my thoughts have always been that it's unwise and possibly unsafe to wind the winch with something that's not designed for it. It's just that I was beginning to be told that sometimes, some folk have been using improvised drills.

Think I'll stick with the gym workout option.

I just had a refit of winches in my venue and was offered the kind where you could use a cordless drill to drive the winch. I the end I ended up using the fully motorised version, but asisted winches are certainly available. I wouldn't recommend using anything but your hand on something that wasn't designed for it though, too much to go wrong.

For four bars is it really worth messing with modifying them and losing the designed in safety factors so that you could use them other than as intended. It may work, but if there were to be a problem you would be considered to have tampered with a safety critical machine and not regarded favourably.

Archived