Blue T27

Illuminatio

I've just changed a popped T27. There's the usual shiny tungsten deposit around the middle of the glass envelope, plus some black flaring. At the ends, however, there is a bright blue deposit on the glass which I've not seen before (25 years).

Does anyone know what chemical reaction would cause that? Is the tungsten alloyed with cobalt? Why would it separate out?

(Probably shouldn't have been running the rig to dry a freshly painted floor...)

(Probably shouldn't have been running the rig to dry a freshly painted floor...)

What paint did you use? Are you worried about the fumes interfering with the lamp?

Otherwise, I can't see a problem: people have been turning on the rig to dry a freshly painted floor for time immemorial and I'm sure they will for many years to come! :D

I believe that is is caused by a minute trace of air in the bulb, this reacts with the tungsten filament to form a blue/gray deposit.

Any substantial ingress of air will result in instant failure and a yellow/green deposit of tungsten oxide. The blue deposit is AFAIK from minute traces of air.

Archived