ships cannon

choo choo

Many years ago I worked on a version of "Pirates" that had some nice fibreglass ship type cannons that you could wire-up to fire a flash pot from the barrel - does anyone know who might hire this kind of prop - I could do with 2 for a local am-dram in the North East

Ta in Anticpation

A little Off-Topic:

On HMS Victory, permanently dry-docked in Porstmouth, most of the cannons are fibreglass. Apparently it's because the hull could only support the weight of real ones when floating, with the water giving even support all around the hull. If you loaded it up with iron ones now, the hull would collapse, except where it's supported by the jacks in the dock. Also, only about 10% of the ship is the original article, having been patched up so many times when afloat and since. there...a bit of pub trivia for you all!

you could try Arvalon - they seem to have all sorts of interesting weapons - or Bapty and Co.. I worked on a production of "Great Expectations"in the mid eighty's which had a practical cannon for the Wemmicks Castle scene, but I think that was made specially for the show and I've absolutely no idea what happened to the production after it finished at the Old Vic - probably in a skip somewhere. shame really cos there were some nice practical props - a glowing forge that glowed more when you pumped the bellows, the cannon, and a few other nice things.

Turks Boatyard on the Thames (kingston I think ) hve "The Grand Turk" AKA the Hornblower from a film series, A modern boat built as a replica square rigger The top deck and first lower deck are in full sailing style below that it has full diesel drive bow thrusters and about 500kva movie gen set as ballast!!! But they do have replica canons and may hire if asked. www.turks.co.uk/tp/filming.html

Turk Film Services Ltd, Turks Boatyard, Thames Street, Lower Sunbury, Middlesex, TW16 5QG

Have you tried A&M hire at the Royals Hangar lane London. www.amhire.com

See also www.kftv.com and search there

• 3 weeks later...

Archived