Replacement Strand Solo FS Lens

karl

A long shot this one, but does anybody know where I might source a replacement inner lens for a Strand 2k Solo followspot?

A local venue have a Solo followspot and the inner lens, which is about 1.5 inches thick at the centre, has disintergrated. I guess years of heating / cooling have taken their toll.

I'm guessing these lenses are rare as hen's teeth.

Unfortunately the only one I have access to is currently in pieces. I'm not sure how to measure focal length even if I had one to hand!

If I had the diameter and focal length how would I go about finding a match?

Edited for spelling.

Focal length is easy even with a broken one as long as you have most of the bits.

Assemble the bits to make a whole-ish lens. Take it outside and focus the sun onto a piece of paper so you start to burn the paper. The focal length is the distance from the lens to the paper. Measure the diameter of the lens. Then find a lens supplier and tell them what it's for so they recommend the right material.

These people might be able to help. IIRC they exhibit (used to?) at PLASA.

Failing that there are plenty of online suppliers.

Focal length is easy even with a broken one as long as you have most of the bits.

Assemble the bits to make a whole-ish lens. Take it outside and focus the sun onto a piece of paper so you start to burn the paper. The focal length is the distance from the lens to the paper. Measure the diameter of the lens. Then find a lens supplier and tell them what it's for so they recommend the right material.

Thanks, I'll have a go at that - now you mention it I seem to recall doing something like that in physics at school many, many years ago. Maybe I should have been paying more attention!

Karl - checkout the list of suppliers on http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/help/spares.html - especially Jim Laws Lighting who I seem to remember has a reputation of having serious odd spare parts? Hope this helps - Peter Vincent

Cheers, have emailed Jim and once I get the focal length and diameter he's going to see what he can do.

Many thanks guys.

Archived