Unique Hazer issues

Neil Hampson

I have been asked to look at a Unique hazer that had a susspected burned out fan motor.

After opening up the unit I found that all of the fibre glass matting that insulates the heater element had been pulled into the motor shaft and had been wound round the motor assembly, eventually jamming the motor.

I have removed all of the loose material and the motor is now able to spin freely, however I know that I need to re-insulate the heater block. I am assuming that the heater is the thick copper coil near the outlet vent and that I need to pack the matting around this. I have never seen the inside of one of these so I just want to make sure I ave identified the correct part.

And can anyone explain why there is an aquarium air pump in there as well? (as well as the normal high pressure ELKA one)

Thanks in advance

How bizarre!

Yes, the heater coil is at the top front (of all types). Insulation is dense and should fit snugly. I've found Look Solutions to be very helpful if you need details on the material.

As far as I understand the air pump is used to remove air from the line, although I don't fully understand how that works. As it happens I have one that has gone faulty at the moment causing fluid to be sucked into it and not the coil. Why don't any of my local stores stock this pump? Meuh!

Thanks for confirming that, I've manged to recycle the most matting sheet that had not been torn apart and wrapped it over and around the heater, holding it in place with some steel wire (being careful not to short out the thermostat) but I have not insulated under the coils as it is very close to the aluminium plate that supports it.

The air pump looks like its piped to actually inject air into the system, which is what confused me.

You don't need to insulate under the coils. It only ever rests across the top, curving over slightly at the front where it would normally wedge between coil and case.

Since my last post I have managed to get and fit a replacement air pump and I agree it must insert air. I admit I could not see how it could possibly remove air but seem to remember someone else suggesting this was its purpose. My thinking is it might give an even, constant feed of fluid into the vaporiser as it runs at a much faster speed than the main pump.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have had many issues with the Unique 1 hazer (and other models) and always give white light a ring. As far as I'm aware, they are the UK's main dealer for them and the service team there are top notch. I'm actually about to order a full new heating block for one from them.

Just thought I'd interject with an alternative service source.

cheers

Archived