Tape>CD

Andy!

Hello,

I need to get a song of a tape or of a dvd and then record it on to the pc as a .mp3 file. On my CD/Tape player I have a line out port would I be able to get a 3.5m jack and put that into my MIC port on my and then record? Or is there another way.

I dont know how I could record the song of a dvd so does anyone have any ideas?

Andy,

Would you not be better to use the line in port on your computer and not the mic? Its all about levels I think... but, I dont do sound ;)

For the dvd though, you could try ripping the audio, assuming of course you have a DVD drive. Theres a fair bit of free software out there to rip dvd soundtracks, most of them limit the length of the rip on the free trial, although this should be more than sufficent for a song at a time.

HTH, somewhat

Tom... Right I'm off to bed

The DVD player with your TV should also have a line level output. If your using a line level signal you will need to go into a line input. To record from the line input on your pc you need to open the volume control by double clicking the speaker icon in the taskbar. ( you need to double click or you will just get master volume). Then click options, properties, and then the recording box, then make sure line input is selected underneeth. You should then get the record control faders. Make sure Line is on and at the right level and it should work. (sorry if you already knew all that) .

A good program for recording is Cool Edit pro (now adobe somethingorother...???) as it has filters to reduce hiss from Tapes etc.

Archived