• Cadac
    • Crest
    • DDA
    • Mackie
    • Midas
    • Soundcraft(not Spirits)
    • Spirit
    • Yamaha

Having toured a lot over the last year I was curious to see if my findings would match the real world that one brand appears more prolific than than several others.

I know this is not an exhaustive list but I think it would be fun to find out, if you own/use other brands I would be interested.

Please do not worry about model numbers.

I know that Soundcraft and Spirit are the same company, however the standard between the two brands is quite noticable.

Ian

Own

Allen&Heath, Behringer, Maplin, Sony, Spirit.

I have used at work,

AMS, Yamaha, Calrec, Glensound, Soundcraft, Spirit, SSL, Mackie,

What box do I tick Ian?

Oh and as for the Soundcraft/Spirit issue I agree there is a difference however I think it is a little blurred in the middle, for example my FOH desk is a Spirit LX7, Soundcraft appear to have droped the Spirit with the new version as in calling it the Soundcraft LX7II ?? (Oh and I have a Spirit Monitor, and a spirit notepad!)

James

I've voted Soundcraft as I have at work more soundcrafts than any other brand, but also have; Spirit, Mackie, Yamaha, Behringer off the list and also a wierd collection of other brands like MTR, Sansui, Phonic, 3G (I think, that may the brand or a model number), Soundtracs, InterM, RCF, Soundlab.

Ian, did you have a particular use of mixers in mind, as my list above covers all sorts of uses, from theatre installation, mobile PA, paging, AV use, stage relay, recording, etc.

As I said I was touring, therefore these mixers are either installed or hired in.

The list was short as you are only allowed 10 options for a poll!

Just for the record I own, Allen & Heath, Crest, Yamaha, Mackie, Soundcraft and Midas.

I regularly use Allen & Heath and Midas

Ian

For smaller stuff, I get to use a lot of DDA Interfaces (why won't a someone make a modern version of this great little desk), Crest X series and Midas Venice.

Bigger stuff is nearly always Midas (XL's or Heritage) or Yamaha although have did have an Audient Aztec a while back.

Mainly Midas Heritage or XL's. Sometimes Yamaha PM's and very occasionally Yamaha DM2000.

A couple of friends of mine had been playing with the Digico's which they think are great especially now you can dump 56 tracks to hard drive live and recall direct to fader with the press of a button.

I don't like this small knob business that going on. I can't help the fact I have big fingers and sometimes it really gets on my whick.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

My conclusions.

It is interesting that with all the theatre people that hang around here that no one listed Cadac, Allen & Heath is no suprise this is what I expected.

I thought that DDA would have had a showing, I'm suprised that Neve is mentioned as I have not come across Neve in live music/theatre.

It is also interesting that the number of respondents does not match the "What do you do" survey!

Ian

Hi

My conclusions.

It is interesting that with all the theatre people that hang around here that no one listed Cadac, Allen & Heath is no suprise this is what I expected.

I thought that DDA would have had a showing, I'm suprised that Neve is mentioned as I have not come across Neve in live music/theatre.

It is also interesting that the number of respondents does not match the "What do you do" survey!

Ian

I suspect the lack of Cadac in the replies reflects the position of people on this board. I have used Cadac on a couple of occasions, I could not justify the cost, however good they are, in my venues.

Richard Cooper

I (Like other I suppose) have come into Theatre from other backgrounds, Other people here do recording - I'm from a TV Post Production background where we have a large number of Neve desks. However I shudder to think how practica one would be in a theater enviroment.

James

although I get to use plenty that don't belong to me I have a couple of Yamahas that I really like - an 03 that spends most of its time in my studio and a GA32/12 that I use live when I need lots of outputs - it's a very odd desk with some unusual features. Yamaha UK refused to get it for me and I got it imported from Germany. I used the downloaded spec off yamaha uk (kemble) to get a case made, and when they wouldn't supply the desk, I said "well you gave me the info on it" to which they promptly removed all reference to it from their web site!

For hired in kit, I still prefer the A&H 2000 & 3000 series.

As for Cadac - I'd love to own one, or work in a venue that did - but that is rather unlikely working in east anglia - roads are still a novelty around here. Autoroute and similar say 2 hrs from London - 4 is nearer the mark.

(sorry - went off on one)

I've just (i.e. in the past couple of weeks) traded in my aging Soundcraft for a Yamaha DM1000 and am absolutely convinced that digital is the way to go for the future. I've just finished my first musical on the Yammy and, despite being on the steep side of the learning curve, was already doing things I couldn't dream of on an analogue board.

In the analogue world though, I've encountered most of the boards listed in the poll. My personal favourites are A&H, Soundcraft and, where budget permits, Cadac.

Bob

Archived