USING 18 RADIO MICROPHONES

chatterbox

I have a production coming up where there will be hiring 18 headset radio mic systems to use.

I know that audio technica used to do a frequency checking chart where you could input all the frequencies to see if they would work together, I had it saved on my computer, but when I have come to use it it is not working... anyone know of one I can use... or any other way I can find out which frequencies will work together.

This is a budget production, so it is only using the normal radio mic systems, not the top of the range or those in the gigahertz bands.....

Any help is appreciated....

Thanks

Will probably be the JTS, and Sennheisers that will be used

Wikipedia suggests that in Australia, "operation of wireless microphones of up to 100 mW between 520 MHz and 820 MHz is covered by a class license, allowing any user to operate the devices without obtaining an individual license. The onus, however, is on the user of the wireless microphone to resolve any interference that the use of the microphone may cause to licensed radio communications services".

If that is the case, you have a wide slice of spectrum to use (obvioulsy subject to the licence being in place). However, it is likely that your hire company will have expertise in this area, and can suggest a frequency plan to suit the capabilities of the units you are going to use. However, mixing two different manufacturers units could make things more complicated.

Simon

Wikipedia suggests that in Australia, "operation of wireless microphones of up to 100 mW between 520 MHz and 820 MHz is covered by a class license, allowing any user to operate the devices without obtaining an individual license. The onus, however, is on the user of the wireless microphone to resolve any interference that the use of the microphone may cause to licensed radio communications services".

If that is the case, you have a wide slice of spectrum to use (obvioulsy subject to the licence being in place). However, it is likely that your hire company will have expertise in this area, and can suggest a frequency plan to suit the capabilities of the units you are going to use. However, mixing two different manufacturers units could make things more complicated.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I am aware that we dont need a licence and that we have a large frequency range to chose from, but I am co-ordinating the hires etc, and need to know what frequencies will work together before I hire, as most hire companies dont know what will work with what... There was a chart available a while ago, and you just input the frequencies that you wanted to use, and it would show if there were any conflicts etc....

If you stick to a single brand, then the frequency planning is easy(ish) - however, mix brands and you're on your own. Doing the maths yourself requires all sorts of info the manufacturers don't make easy to compare. Channel bandwidth, deviation, intermodulation data etc.

If you can go anywhere, frequency wise, and have two different systems, then use ranges as wide apart as possible - it's a start, but to be honest, much will be trial and error.

The hire companies DO know, they need this info all the time - so if you tell supplier A his Sennheiser is being used with somebody elses Shure - they may be able to help.

It's a handy bit of excel work, but you need to enter some parameters yourself, and it gives guides - this assumes a level of user knowledge that might be lacking. It certainly does the maths for you, but you need to understand what it is you are actually asking it to do. Try it on a set of frequencies that you could have in a Shure or Sennheiser system and see if it says they work or not - then adjust the parameters to match what Sennheiser say will work - pretty complex to get reliable results.

When I have hired in a multiple channels of radio mics, they've come prepped and ready to use - i.e. they're tuned and tested to channels that work together. So, assuming there is no local radio o interference on those channels, all should be good.

I deal with ALOT of wireless stuff. When I send them out, it depends on the client as to whether I do the tuning or not. If it's a professional user who knows what they're doing, I'll often leave it to them to do it as they'll know about any issues in the venue and any other wireless stuff that might be in use. I'm still happy to do it for them if needs be.

A regular client that may be less aware of the concept of tuning and intermodulation, then I'll tune them up myself. Wherever possible, if I deliver these I like to run them up in the venue, though it's not always possible.

Rob

As a customer, I ask the vendor to sort it out for me; I tell them where I'm going to be (geographically) and what other wireless I've got (particularly fixed frequency), and the gear all arrives pre-tuned and intermod free.

Archived