Strand 520i - Number of universes

Matthew Robinson

Hi,

I'm doing a concert and going into a venue which has some dimmers already installed (in the tech room). The DMX goes from the desk to the dimmers in a conduit that I don't want to mess with.

I'm planning on adding some movers to wiggle behind the stage to look nice because the concert merits them along with some LED Pars to wash the stage in colour when appropriate and a smoke machine (to define the light, and add atmosphere).

I have been offered a strand 520i (along with the intelligent lights) for free (or very reduced price). I was planning on putting the dimmers & generics on one universe, and the lights I bring in on another. However, does the 520i have two (or more) universes?

Furthermore, the only hard power at the venue comes from 13A sockets. Do you think that there will be enough power from these sockets for the above equipment + followspot (I'm assuming that it will be a 32A ring main)?

Furthermore, the only hard power at the venue comes from 13A sockets. Do you think that there will be enough power from these sockets for the above equipment + followspot (I'm assuming that it will be a 32A ring main)?

Were as I cannot quote on the desk(not being a strand man at all(using one on a show at the minute and its killing me)).

It all depends on what fixtures you are getting and how many. If you are talking about 2 x 250 heads then yes plenty but if you are talking 12 x 700/1200 heads then more than likely not. More info would get you a better answer.

The 520i iirc has got 2 universes... However, I'm assumeing becuase of the venue only having 13 amp sockets scattered around the venue its not a huge one and therefore its not going to have many dimmers. Becuase if so then you could probably get all the fixtures on one universe depends on the numbers?

The power issue might be fine, it might not be. It completely depends on the ring main, sometimes you can have 2 ring mains in a room I belive? And secondly it all depends on the kit that you'll be having. For example, the followspot, we've only got a 1200W followspot at my venue, therefore drawing only around 5A however, I'm sure other venues have followspots that draw upwards of 15A. Again, its the same story with the movers unfortionatly...

Maybe give us an idea on the kit and we'll be able to do a calculated estimate on whether it will be fine :)

James

Sorry! We're planning on having 2 moving heads, probably robe575's.

The Followspot that we are likely to go for is a 2000W model.

There's not many channels and we could add all the intelligents to the output with no problem. However, from ease of cabling and neatness, I feel it is better to add the intelligents to a different universe than the generics.

I'm unsure of what LEDs we will be getting, but they are low power devices? I believe the control room will be on a separate ring main, but I cannot be sure.

The chances are that the LEDs (about 4 of them, all of which will be on the grid) will be provided with hard power from the control room (probably by means of one cable?) along with the Followspot. The movers & smokey will be on the floor upstage, waggling (well, not the smokey!) with supply taken from a 13A socket in the wings.

DMX wise, the first universe will go to the dimmers (as previously stated) and the second will go from the console to the LEDs, (daisy chained from one end to the other) then to the movers & smokey.

Archived