BW 12" basket required

johndenim

Hi All.

I've been looking for the last hour or so for a replacement 4 ohm 12" BW basket for one my ageing 112xt's.

I can only see them for around £80, last year I found a 15" BW for a friend for a lot less, but I can't remember where I got it from! ;)

Anyone know of any going anywhere, or know of a speaker parts website, or should I replace them both with new drivers?

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

E2A.

Have found these, not sure about the Frequency response though. (27Hz - 5kHz)

And yes, I know they are 8 ohms.

Opinions please?

Hi,

£80 is below the retail price for these now, ther has been three price rises in the last year. The rrp I think is just over £90. I certainly would not use 8ohms as you would lose a lot of power from your amp getting round about 50% less from amp.

John

go with the original Peavey replacement basket as it has a sensitivity of 96.6dB/W. The Terrelec driver you are looking at only has a sensitivity of 91 which would mean that you would need nearly 6dB more power to get the same level from it plus it is 8 ohm which means another 3dB ish so in fact you would need nearly 10dB more/10x the amp power/ twice the volume to be where you where.

The 4/8 ohm issue is not as bad a 3dB as most amps produce less than double the power output at 4 ohms E.G. QSC PLX 2402 - 4 ohm-700-watts, 8 ohm 425watts

power dB=10log(10).(PI/PO) = 2.16dB

Thanks for the comments chaps, I'm a bit annoyed that for such an old driver it's gone up.

I suppose they have changed the design slightly but justified?

I saw a B&C driver somewhere at about £125, so, £80 odd quid for a Peavey? :** laughs out loud **:

Thanks SIG.

I fit a 15 as I say last year, and they do have some kind of spider legs appearance, continuing the BW theme?

I still have not bought one yet, although I spent far too much money on the Mrs this year!

Ebay was my first port of call but I'm a little apprehensive to bid on second hand drivers or boxes.

My Friend with Peaveys has had good service ordering baskets from Peavey in Corby directly. Order and pay over the phone and I have to fit the new baskets the next day. What their service time at this season I cannot promise.

Rarely will another brand of driver suit the cab or crossover as well as the manufacturer's prefered one.

Thanks Jivemaster, I will give them a call tomorrow.

I have made some mods to the cab, I don't use the internal crossover as it's only a tiny sub, and there is no real oomph at higher levels, just a nasty muddy MF/LF.

I use them at a lower freq but less power, just to add a little punch to a pair of Impulses.

Saying that, the difference is certainly there.

Archived