Big Bit of Perspex

rowan.b1000

Hi,

I am currently a student at LIPA, and after Christmas I am creating an art installation which is part of an art exhibition in the main auditorium (PMA).

My piece of work involves putting things into the trap door of the stage. I want people to be able to walk over the trap door and be able to look down onto what’s inside it. So basically I am looking for a piece of Perspex or glass that is roughly 1200 mm by 1200mm that people can walk on.

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I can buy one on the cheap, or of anyone who would be willing to lend a piece out if you happen to have a piece in your loft.

I know this is a very long shot but if you did lend us anything you would get it back and a mention in the program of the event.

Thanks

Rowan

Glass or perspex that is strong enough to walk on in that size is going to be thick! Perspec will also craze very easily and soon become difficult to see through. I'd suggest a commercial glass company, the type who do shop windows could be a good place to start, as maybe they have a broken large piece that could be made to work - but I bet they won't like the idea of people walking on it. A four foot square hole is quite a big one really! Three 15 stone blokes standing in the middle is a bit scary.

+1 on Paul's comments.

1200mm x 1200mm is a big area to cover and will need a hefty piece of toughened glass. There's a reason why the viewing floors in places like the Eiffel and CN Towers are not very big! I reckon you might find that some sort of railing around the edge is a much better bet

Does it need to be perspex or glass?

Maybe have a look at some sturdy mesh but open enough to see through.

Have a call some of the staging companies, they often have mesh panels for their stages for underfloor monitors etc.

If that works, adjust the size of the whole to the size of the panel, jobs' right :)

Would also fix the problem of the perspex/glass being slippery....

I've recently bought an 8'x4' sheet of 10mm perspex. ISTR it cost about £150. For people to walk on, I'd be looking at a laminate of some sort, a hard outer layer to avoid scratches, and a more flexible core.

Amari Plastic. Will cut to size, but you pay for the whole sheet; off cuts are yours too. Happy to talk about ideas too.

Is this project first year Design & Construction per chance?

When I was in my first year at LIPA (five years ago now...how time flies!), We did a show called 'Hair', and as part of the set we had an 8'x4' piece of decking which had a top made of perspex (admittedly with metal bracing as part of it).

I can't remember specifics, but I do remember that it was hired, so if you speak to Mikey B he will probably have an invoice for it somewhere which would say where it was hired from- you never know, they may have something suitable to fit the trapdoor.

http://www.irwdesign.com/galleries/Hair/P1010113sm.JPG

This was suitable for dancing heavily on, so something similar would certainly be suitable for walking on.

It may also be worth you having a word with Richard Reddrop, if he is still teaching there, (if not, Joe S-T will have his number), as he was involved in an installation in Liverpool Cathedral (OneStepForwardOneStepBack) which, IIRC, involved quite a bit of walking on perspex at height.

http://www.irwdesign.com/galleries/Hair/dts.JPG

(Picture courtesy of one of the design assistants)

Hope this is helpful!

Ian

Hi thanks for all your helpful replies.

The actual hole in the stage is 860 by 830 the reason I said 1200 by 1200 is I want a big enough piece to go over the edges.

Yes Richard is still there and along with Kathy and Ashley they are all trying to source something, however I thought I would try and help.

We are also looking into something mesh although it won’t create the same effect.

Once again Thanks

Rowan

Hello there,

I would second the idea of asking Richard R. I was part of the for up for the show in the Anglican and we did use two pieces of perspex for people to walk on, they were fairly large as well (1200 by 800) (ish) . If he is not sure as for Tristin Sharpes (of dreamthinkspeak) and try and get in contact with him, he was the director and spent a great deal of time working with the that scene on the installation.

You never know the perspex may still be in the Cathedral, although I wouldn't want to get it back out personally!

Hope that helps

Paul (ex-Lipa also)

Archived