Better dust off those old Patt 123s

Spock

I have a 23 and a 123 that I had copper plated a while back. I stripped them down to the component parts and took the relevant bits to the platers. They had to be polished (like the ebay item) then nickled plated, then copper plated, then polished again and lacquered to keep the oxidisation at bay. Think the two came to £150 odd in plating costs, pretty cheap. Not got any pics at the moment.

Then they needed rebuilding but have not been converted (still got T1s in them) and haven't been PATed, although mine are electrically in tip top condition.

As others have said, this price might seem a lot but compared to the amount of work and low volumes, it doesn't seem outrageous. Actually, a 123 in working condition is still worth a lot as a fresnel in my opinion but....

...Actually, a 123 in working condition is still worth a lot as a fresnel in my opinion but....

A few years ago I was planning for an amateur production of Oklahoma and just did not have enough fresnels. In the junk box were four Patt 123 in a dreadful state which were cleaned up, painted white with radiator paint, rewired and relamped with halogen lamps (T11?). In the rig I had to dim them against the "newer and better" modern equivalents as they were so bright (all the lanterns had been cleaned for this production so is a fair comparison). The white colour was not ideal and we didn't have barndoors but another theatre lent us theirs. The only minor drawback was that it was very easy to blow the lamp while focusing. In my current theatres I don't have any but they were beautifully engineered and efficient. Maybe Philips will reinvent them and their Patt 23 cousins?

Peter Vincent

I'd very happily buy some brand new 123s and 743s.

I'd put them above a lot of the other fresnels on the market.

Join the club. I think im carrying 17 all with barndoors in my stock for hire as well and 9 times out of 10 they pretty well out gun most of the others. and I carry 8 743's with bd's to and they really cut the mustard.

Bring em back.

And all worth the effort of the rebuilding/wiring & cleaning.

TTFN

lxtechman

Archived