Laser scanning of dancers

JohnMac

Popped into a school today to help resolve some dimmer issues, and was horrified with finding a cheap twin colour laser shinning down onto the floor. With no music, there was no movement of the beam.

Coupled with the fact that a school child was then trying to stand directly in the green beam to look directly up the static beam. :wacko:

To me it was apparent that no comprehension, awareness or understanding of the Health and Safety Executive Guidance HS(G)95 Guidance had occurred.

I've tried making my concerns known, and have assumed that if I was the responsible person, then my public liability insurance company would walk away from any subsequent claim, being grossly incompetent.

Am I over reacting in my reaction of this situation? what are the dangers of the semiconductor laser diodes used in these products? :unsure:

The 5A dimmers had 10A T fuses fitted to them...........

Oh ! and they've put scanners through the dimmer system as well!

Look forward for some informed feed-back

regards

John Mac.

These are of course the same schools who ban steps and focusing as 'dangerous'. We had this topic very recently that had some replies stating exactly what you're saying.

A little knowledge in schools goes nowhere!

I think you're right to voice your concern, but don't be surprised that nobody will take you seriously. Only recently Tesco removed their entire system of customer card scanning at the checkouts because they pointed down and kids were doing exactly what you've said - looking into the scanner.

Only recently Tesco removed their entire system of customer card scanning at the checkouts because they pointed down and kids were doing exactly what you've said - looking into the scanner.

You got a reference for that?

Barcode scanners are never a fixed beam and it is very low power anyway.

For a while LEDs made it to Class 1 LED Product in EN60825 Laser Safety Standard, then the hype calmed down.

Staring into beam is silly, dont stare into the Sun, ever burnt paper with a magnifying glass in the Sun , thats what a big laser can do, the lens in your eye is like that magnifying glass.

People seem to get the comparison with looking at the Sun.

I think it’s just a silly school kid, having worked at a secondary school for last 5 years (4 as a student) no matter how often you tell kids not to look at lights they never listen. also I agree that the Laser could have of been dangerous as we have two at the school and if I remember correctly they are class one and carried a large A5 warning in the packaging about not shining them into peoples eyes. Having said that the fools that did it despite repeated warnings were fine so make of that what you will...

Archived