socapex grenades?

trussmonkey

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to have to play the 'sounding thick' card now but what are Grenades?

The only thing I can think it might be is Soca line testers i.e. 6 LEDs to show if there is a working light on each channel. But I don't call them grenades :)

Stu

Guest lightnix
...Soca line testers i.e. 6 LEDs to show if there is a working light on each channel...
Yes, those are the chaps and most of them are homemade, usually from a second hand connector, although for £55 (+VAT & delivery) you can buy a new one here.

• 3 months later...

Socapex Tester

You will need:

6 Green LEDs (3mm)

1 Red LED (3mm)

6 680 Ohm resistors

7 Pieces of coloured wire

1 9V battery

1 9V battery connector

1 Soca connector of each sex

3mm HSS Drill

Glue Gun and glue

Soldering stuff

Drill 7 holes in the side of the female soca shell like so:

1 2 3 4 5 6

Insert the LEDs into the holes (the red on in hole 7) making sure they are all the same way round. Glue into position.

Solder all the short legs of the LEDs together as close to the bottom as possible. Connect the black wire from the battery connector to these short legs.

Solder a coloured wire to each remaining LED leg (as close to the bottom as possible) KEEP A NOTE OF WHICH WIRE IS SOLDERED TO WHICH LED .Now cut off any excess bits of LED and cover with glue to protect.

This should leave you with 7 bits of wire (one from each LED) plus the red wire form the battery connector.

Take your female soca end and clean and tin each pin. Cottect all of the centre pins together using solder leaving just the outside ring of pins. Now solder a resistor to each of the odd pins as close to the resistor as possible. Now connect all of the resistors to each other so that they meet in the centre MAKE SURE THEY ONLY TOUCH EACH OTHER (use some pvc sleeving if you can get hold of it)

Now connect the coloured wires form the leds to the remaining pins in the following order

LED Soca pin

1----- 2

2----- 4

3----- 6

4----- 8

5----- 10

6----- 12

7 --- Centre pins

Now solder to red battery wire to the resistors. Connect a battery and put the soca together. Label the LEDs 1-6 and label the red LED “earth shortâ€.

Take the male soca and use solder to short pins 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, & 11-12.

Job done.

You can use this tester to check six lamp bars ect. OR use it with the male shorting plug to check cables. Hope this helps.

Grum

Socapex Tester

You will need:<BIG SNIP>

Take the male soca and use solder to short pins 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, & 11-12.

Job done.

You can use this tester to check six lamp bars ect. OR use it with the male shorting plug to check cables. Hope this helps.

Grum

That would be called a "Grenade", because if you plug the male into the wrong cable - BANG!

I'm sure that there is a safer way of doing this, but just at the moment I'm on the wrong side of 1/2 bottle of wine. ;)

I'll think on it!

That would be called a "Grenade", because if you plug the male into the wrong cable - BANG!

I'm sure that there is a safer way of doing this, but just at the moment I'm on the wrong side of 1/2 bottle of wine.  ;)

I'll think on it!

If your stupid enough to try and test a cable that could be live then maybe its a good thing that your hands are blown off! :** laughs out loud **:

I know that a shorting plug carries an element of risk if your using it on an installed cable but if you follow safe working practises then there shouldn't be a problem.

The real advantage is in the warehouse / fit up where you can perform a simple, quick test to be sure that a cable is sound before you tripe it up. I know its not as good as a PAT test (nor should it be used as a substitute for one) but it is a handy double check.

• 1 year later...
Time to drag up an old thread, has anyone found anywhere in the UK who sells them ready made? I lost my homemade one many moons ago and never got round to replacing it, I'm too busy/lazy to make a replacement. Found a place which sell them in the states but it's generally a pain in the a**e importing stuff.

Hate to make a stupid point but surely you're gunna want to test a long run of soca, probably patched in at one end. Would it not be a darn sight more sensible to use larger resistor values of around 33K or so, (Don't quote me on the calculations!) uncommon the grounds and use it to check for mains voltage?

Archived