Video File Simple question

MarkBarl

I'm sure that this is a simple question and I feel a bit of a fool for asking it, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I am needing to show a couple of simple mp4 files on a projector running on a second screen from my laptop, while keeping the control interface on the primary screen. I have been trying with VLC player but I can't get it to open on the external screen by default, fullscreen or otherwise. I have tried every combination on the settings and changed the output device to each listed (default, display, \\.\DISPLAY 1,\\.\DISPLAY 2 Nothing seems to make a difference. Any ideas, alternatively, any other software suggestions.

Help much appreciated.

Edit for clarity.

I got the \\.\DISPLAY 2 method to work on one machine a couple of versions ago, but it's patchy at best so these days I just drag the player to the secondary monitor and then double-click to go fullscreen - the player controls are then available on the primary.

This seems to work best with the default output profile ime.

Thanks for the responses. I went with Screenmonkey in the end. Not the most intuitive software, and a few quirks about what you can do with different types of file (Edit/cue not working with flv or Mp4, can't put a at end goto next if file cued) But it's free and it worked well for what I needed.

• 1 month later...

Archived