DMX cable colour coding

Dave

We generally use blue cable for DMX, and black for audio, well at least on stage. This tends to work well when tracing cable routes etc, but obviously if you have already purchased your cable this is no use to you!

Ultimatly you can use anything to identify DMX cables, I'm not aware of any 'industry standard'. A simple suggestion would be a neatly cut piece of distinctly coloured LX tape at either end of your cable? It's amazing how many different colours of LX you can get these days.

Otherwise some heatshrink labelling as previously suggested, which also gives you the oppourtunity to properly label your cables with company name etc as well as it's use.

We generally use blue cable for DMX, and black for audio

Interestingly, I used to work for a company which used exactly the opposite scheme! In that case, I suspect the reason was that it was primarily a lighting hire company, with a bit of sound on the side, so they probably had a load of black DMX cable before they bought any sound cabling.

However, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the notion that DMX should use 5 pin XLR rather than 3 pin, and that the type of cable used is different! We've been there many many times, however the fact does remain that mic cable terminated with 3-pin XLR is widely used for DMX purposes... rightly or wrongly.

All our cables have a velcro type tie on the end, used for securing coiled cables (far less mess than lx tape)

All Mic and audio leads have the tie on the male end. Ie away from view when plugged into a mic.

All DMX leads have the tie on the female end.

It is then obvious when looking at a loom what each lead is SUPPOSED to be carrying. :P

We then use different coloued lx tape to identify legnth. This is alao at the same end at the tie wrap.

However, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the notion that DMX should use 5 pin XLR rather than 3 pin, and that the type of cable used is different! We've been there many many times, however the fact does remain that mic cable terminated with 3-pin XLR is widely used for DMX purposes... rightly or wrongly.

I thought about it, but managed to keep away from commenting it! ;-)

But although I should let mr Dave comment on this, I presume the case here is that it is really about DMX-cable quality, only wrong type of connector! And I think he is aware of the problem, since he want to distinguise between his 3pins DMX-cables and ordinary 3pins sound cables.

I also have some cheap 3pin LED equipment, so I have done it the same way. Usually I use 5pin DMX cables, but between the LED lamps (and a few movers) I use _DMX-cables_ with 3 pin. Unless I use some 3<->5 pin *) adapters then (Commercial info: Thomann). Have a lot of them lying around in my DMX-cables box. I have also made some meters-short 3<->5 pin cables.

The standard is clear, though! The manufactorers of cheap equipment save bucks by using 3pin, though, as it seems...

Regards Kåre Olai.

*) Of course, one need to require them as 3pin male -> 5pin female, and 3pin female -> 5pin male.

We generally use blue cable for DMX, and black for audio, well at least on stage. This tends to work well when tracing cable routes etc, but obviously if you have already purchased your cable this is no use to you!

When I was at uni my students union did the same.

Thanks for replies - there definitely isn't a standard!! I'm surprised green didn't come up, as van damme make a green 110 ohm cable that they say is good for DMX. I think I'll go with blue - red is a bit too bright IMO.

To respond to the comments about 3 pin XLRs, I am fully aware that DMX is specified to use 5 pin XLR and I have a load of these. These three-pin ones are for a not-particularly-technical client to connect up some chinese-made kit which has 3 pin connectors. As everything is three-pin, there isn't any point in using 3-5 adaptors. I also want to educate them not to use mic cables (just in case they don't work) so want to make sure that the DMX cables have something distinctive about them.

EDIT: And in case it's not crystal clear, the DMX cables I'm making will use the proper cable!

dosxuk implemented a system at a venue where I have volunteered; green rings on 3 pin DMX connectors, red rings on 5 pin DMX connectors and nothing on sound cables. Tape denotes the length of DMX cables. The only problem there now is differentiating between 5 pin 5 core and 5 pin 3 core.

As for velcro ties; how does that help you see the right cable from a massive pile?

Thanks for replies - there definitely isn't a standard!! I'm surprised green didn't come up, as van damme make a green 110 ohm cable that they say is good for DMX. I think I'll go with blue - red is a bit too bright IMO.

Canford also do cat5 flexible here which can be used for DMX in green. Surely blue is for mains :P (but not so easy to confuse with differing connectors.)

dosxuk implemented a system at a venue where I have volunteered; green rings on 3 pin DMX connectors, red rings on 5 pin DMX connectors and nothing on sound cables. Tape denotes the length of DMX cables. The only problem there now is differentiating between 5 pin 5 core and 5 pin 3 core.

As for velcro ties; how does that help you see the right cable from a massive pile?

It dosn't identify an individual universe or stage send.

What it does allow is any of our staff or to see at a glance if a cable is DMX or Audio. Yes I know DMX is 5 pin but we carry 3pin DMX and 99% of our cables are black with either black or nickle connectors.

And without looking, just by feel you can tell that, if the tie is on the male end it must be audio, on the female it must be DMX, useful if you cant see clearly to ID the cable.

I guess everyone has their own way and are used to what works.

And to differentiate between 5 core and 3 core on DMX we use yellow lx on the connector as we dont use yellow for anything else.

Is there a "standard" colour code for cable length? or does everybody have their own system?

dosxuk implemented a system at a venue where I have volunteered; green rings on 3 pin DMX connectors, red rings on 5 pin DMX connectors and nothing on sound cables. Tape denotes the length of DMX cables.

Indeed, have a photo:

http://home.vis-is.co.uk/data/dmxcons.jpg

Red was chosen for 5-pin as several hire companies we use have the red rings on their 5-pin DMX. Green was chosen as an easily distinguishable colour from the red rings.

Archived