bose replacement

widowgobo

hey

I have 2 BOSE 208s old ones ,dont know how old, iv had them 2 years in a house that has some roof missing (half) due to construction.

took them in about an hour ago opend them up and 30 of the 32 4.5'' have had the... the.. flexable part between the cone and houseing (not the yellow one near the magnet ,the one faceing you when one look at it) is completle gone. sooooooo my Q is

ANY TAKERS

IM SELLING THEM FOR £400 EACH..

<joke>

should I replace them or

change the...the.. ,if any one could tel me the name of the thingy would be great!

I think replace as they just are quite bad, but I dont have much money

what speakers could I use as replacements

they are all made of papery pulp (think) exept 2 the ones that look fine they look like kevlar

I have never seen kevlar loudspeakers but I am wearing boots with kevlar on the sides of them and they look simalr

http://www.bose.com/pdf/professional/802III_techdata.pdf

thanks

hey

I have 2 BOSE 208s old ones ,dont know how old, iv had them 2 years in a house that has some roof missing (half) due to construction.

took them in about an hour ago opend them up and 30 of the 32 4.5'' have had the... the.. flexable part between the cone and houseing (not the yellow one near the magnet ,the one faceing you when one look

I'm confused by your numbers. Do you mean you have two pairs? Each 802 box should have 8 drivers in.

As far as selling them, forget it, However, I recall a while back that Mark Payne (forum member & SFL head honcho) was into recyclying old 802s into decorative plant pots, so wait for him to spring up (pardon the pun) and you could have a taker :)

Okay, time to add a different perspective:

Assuming the cabinets themselves are still in workable condition, and that you have amplifiers etc to use them with, you'd be looking at about £200 per speaker to put new (Bose) drivers in. I can think of boxes I'd rather use as general purpose gigging speakers, but if you're prepared to put some work in (and make sure you use them with their system controller or another EQ unit doing the same job) then I think for £400 you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that's actually "better" that would last as long.

If you restore them and find you don't want them, they are still sellable, even if you might not get the full repair value back from the sale. But hopefully you'll be able to offset that loss against having done some gigs with them in the meantime, eh? :)

I'm not the world's biggest Bose 802 fan by any means, but I've had some good gigs with them, and still have to make them sound as good as I can in my dayjob. After battling with them for many years in the many and varied jobs I've had to do, I'm still amazed at how good they *can* sound.

Nods in agreement with Solstace - The 802, altought only rated at 240w, offers a very nice warm, natural sound - we had them in our hire stock for many many yeares before going down the active route.

We have a 802, FBT MAxx4a, and Mackie SRM 450 in a head to head test. Out of the 3 the Bose was actually the nicest sound, closely followed by the FBT. For a direct and smaller replacement these days however I would have no hesitation in suggesting the Electrovoice ZX1. A real beauty of a compact speaker and at less than £200 a pop - another good reason to to have a listen.

Archived