Looking for transparent mic stand bags...

Stuart91

One of the great bugbears of my life is dealing with mic stands. We typically take relatively small quantities to shows, and don't have the van space available for a large mic stand trunk. What we've settled on is bags which can carry five or six stands. However it becomes tiresome checking through bags every time they go out. It's hard to tell at a glance how many stands are in a bag, or what condition or configuration they are in.

What I'm thinking about is mic stand bags made of a transparent material, on at least one side, so that it's easy to see the contents. I'm not aware of any off-shelf products, wondering if there is anything perhaps being used outwith our industry that could fulfill this task. I might look into getting something made for us, although I'm not sure what materials would be best to use?

I would look at sail manufactures.

I'm sure if you gave them a rough idea of what you wanted they would be able to produce a few bags of the appropriate size. They are used to over engineering things (eg. seams and zips) and the material they use for see though sails is very strong and tear resistant.

Sails are quite expensive, but you maybe able to save money on the material by using off cuts.

HTH

Jamie

Can you not just keep a record of what goes in and out?

The problem is that we need to check what comes in and what goes out. I figure that transparent bags would let us see at a glance, rather than having to zip and unzip and guddle around inside.

We've had a number of lightweight mic stand bags that have failed in pretty short order, and sailmaking might be a good answer. Any other suggestions?

is it really that hard to count 6 stands in a bag?

It's more the advantage of being able to tell at a glance, versus zipping and unzipping etc. It always seems to be an annoying and time consuming process for what should be a simple task.

I'm always on the lookout for ways to make prepping shows and deploying gear more efficient.

Archived