Grease Car

mattbushell

Hello,

I am currently in pre-production of Grease The Musical and I am wondering if anyone knows where I could hire a Grease car?. Shows will be performed in Jan 2010.

Any help would be smashing

regards

We have 14 pre-painted cut-out 2D Ply 1950's Cars 'front on' in Somerset if that's any help then PM me. We mounted them on french braces with castors on the bottom and the cast whizzed them on stood behind them, looked very effective, though obviously not naturalistic. Can dig out some pics if you're interested. Having just spotted you're in Lincs then I doubt it, but you never know, we are just off the M5 Jct26.

If you had got to us before summer, we had the DT dept and drama convert a caretakers trolley, into a minature car, the only thing missing was working steering and an engine...partly due to weight, and the steering as DT put the car on the trolley backwards!

I know how hard these are to make, but my god does the final result make it worth it. I think it was the star of the performance. I have pics somewhere.

And I have seen versions of a side of a car cut out that looked pants. So I would spend alot of time and money on getting it right =]

We built one using a small (can't remember what type) old car... with the engine and most of the interior removed it was fairly light weight, put some par lamps in where the headlamps were and had a couple of TRS tails from those which were plugged into a dip on stage allowed us to control it with the rest of the LX ... think it also had rope light on it, I might be able to dig up pics..

Nothing beats using an *actual* car if you can get away with it, otherwise a flat cut out can be effective if done well :D

We built one using a small (can't remember what type) old car... with the engine and most of the interior removed it was fairly light weight, put some par lamps in where the headlamps were and had a couple of TRS tails from those which were plugged into a dip on stage allowed us to control it with the rest of the LX ... think it also had rope light on it, I might be able to dig up pics..

Nothing beats using an *actual* car if you can get away with it, otherwise a flat cut out can be effective if done well :D

The last time I worked on a Grease production we were given an old Corsa(!) from a nearby College's motor engineering dept that the students had finished with. They cut off the roof for us and then we just sprayed it pink.

It was different but did the job!

Hello All,

Sorry I have not replied back, been away on holiday.

Thank you for all the stories, sounds like someone of you had a fantastic time creating your Grease cars.

Thank you for all the advice. a company has approached us and has given us a good discount on a Grease car. Thanks for all the offers, hard being so far away from all the company's/Schools. Not many of us round in Lincolnshire.

Here's to the show.

Once again, thanks

• 6 months later...
Hi, coming late to the conversation but any chance you could forward details of the company giving a discount? I'm going through the same thing for my son's production at school in July.

Thanks

where about's are you located , as at my college we are curently in production for grease ans I have an old morris minor .. no engine, pretty lightweight and might be able to sort something out for you

we have done grease at christmas and used an old fibreglass body kit. its in 2 halves and is very light weight, if your interested I could send you some photos?

Jon

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello All,

Sorry I have not replied back, been away on holiday.

Thank you for all the stories, sounds like someone of you had a fantastic time creating your Grease cars.

Thank you for all the advice. a company has approached us and has given us a good discount on a Grease car. Thanks for all the offers, hard being so far away from all the company's/Schools. Not many of us round in Lincolnshire.

Here's to the show.

Once again, thanks

Any chance of the details please as our would be car has been had by the scrapman and we are 3 weeks away from curtain up :(

• 4 weeks later...

we have done grease at christmas and used an old fibreglass body kit. its in 2 halves and is very light weight, if your interested I could send you some photos?

Jon

Hi all:

I'm NOT in Theatre but involved in the vehicle fleet business. So when my daughter-in-law (head of Drama at Oaklands School, Waterlooville) was let down I got the call.

She has been organising the school play for some months – it's "Grease – the Musical" but has just been let down over the supply of the mock-up car (I've never seen the film but understand it's got rather more than a bit-part for the plot!).

I've got a call out to some manufacturers I know to see if they have any suitable props eg 'shell' or (front- or side-)half of a car used for motor shows/ dealership displays; or photo-shoots.

While Googling about what car styles might be best (open-top Jaguar rather than Skoda?? vbg) I found this thread. Can anyone here help? Do you HAVE any kind of that could be lent or hired (there is a modest budget for this). It needs to be sized to fit onto a decent school stage and be capable of moving (on some kind of trolley?) for the different scenes.

The play runs for 3 nights at end FEBRUARY so there is a lot of panic in Drama right now.

Any help with a direct offer; or any signpost to where such a prop could be sourced will be VERY gratefully received.

Stewart Whyte

I suspect she's over complicated this one. I've seen loads of school and college versions, and by far the most common is a timber flat - usually MDF, then is jigsaw cut and then painted by the art department, and glittered up.

You can hire cars for the show from loads of firms - these people near me have a nice one, but transport means it's usually local. If you fancy more than just a flat, then the local car breakers may well have a wreck they'll chop the front off for you. I've seen all sorts of cars used, not just american ones. It really isn't a huge sticking point - A flat with a school desk attached for them to jump on works quite well. School shows also rarely have wing space to store a big prop like this. Greased Lighting, the cars name is just used properly in one scene - it's not vital for others, and can be got around. If it helps, I saw one group (in a video used for assessment) use an overhead projector and shine the movie car's front onto a bit of white painted MDF, then they drew around it, and cut it out - then painted it and while wet sprinkled glitter on the highlights.

Looked really good. On the other hand I've seen shows where they had a scrapyard wreck all painted up, but had to spend ages making the damn thing safe because everything was sharp, it was far too heavy and even with big casters needed lock down bolts fitting so they could lean on it without it shifting. These school shows have major problems with the acting singing and dancing, so a flash car really isn't a big problem - imagination works fine!

Archived