Watcing 3D TV... DIY Style?

Dan.Hill

..So I'm trying to watch Derren Brown's program tonight in 3D on Channel 4.

Having missed the chance to go to Sainsburys' and easily pick up a pair of their 3D specs, I'm now trying (rather crudely, colour swatch-books in hand) to make my own

It looks like whilst L026 with L116 used to work in the older style 3D photgraphy/film.. they have now started a new method that instead of using red and blue.. uses a blue/cyan with amber ("ColorCode - 3D")

Does anyone have any ideas as to what filters may work best?

Cheers!

Well, I haven't experimented as much as you Dan so yours is probably a better filter combination but comparing my Sainsbury's 3D glasses which are meant to be tuned for the Channel Four shows they appear to be closest to L232 Super White Flame in the left eye and L195 Zenith Blue in the right.

I wouldn't bother, chaps. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I've got my 3D specs on over my regular glasses (correcting fairly pronounced short-sightedness), but I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the 3Dness (such as it is) in the Derren Brown programme. I'm now watching it without 3D specs on, and finding it much more enjoyable.

I have never had the ability to cross my eyes, something that a mad optometrist in the employ of my school attempted to correct when I was about 14 due to the fact that I couldn't catch balls etc <no short depth perception>, to no avail, in any case apparently if you cannot move your eveballs in to a central converged feild this does not work (I can confirm that all I saw was an irritating half blue half red picture)

However I can use those victorian 3D stereographic photograph veiwers, so I taped the gels over the lenses on an old veiwer, sat close to the TV and it worked!, don't think I'll be taking that to the Odeon with me though!!!

From the channel 4 website:

The 3-D effect will work best when viewed in a dark room, so turn down the lights, put on your ColorCode 3-D glasses - available from Sainsbury’s - sit back and enjoy the experience. It is also best not to sit too near your TV or too far to the side as this can distort the image that you see – so try and watch from a central position and be at least 1.5 metres away from the screen.

3-D works best on a digitally broadcast TV signal. It does work on analogue but the 3-D effect won’t be as strong.

Your TV needs to be set to 16:9 format for the best effect. The 3-D effect also works better when your TV is set to a neutral colour setting, usually called the “Neutral” or “Cinema” setting.

The first time you try, it might take a while for your eyes to get used to it, so just be patient and give it a good 30-60 seconds to let your eyes become accustomed to the third dimension.

Edit: Full of quite patronising information from a technically minded point of view.

Heres a nice little explanation of how 3D works from Wikipeadia

Anaglyph

Anaglyph images were, until recently, the most popular method of presenting 3-D and the one 3-D method most commonly associated with stereoscopy by the public at large. They were made popular both because of the ease of their production, and also due to the fact that this technology was the first 3-D technology widely adopted by the Hollywood film industry.

In an anaglyph, the two images are either superimposed in an additive light setting through two filters, one red and one cyan. In a subtractive light setting, the two images are printed in the same complementary colors on white paper. Glasses with colored filters in either eye separate the appropriate images by canceling the filter color out and rendering the complementary color black.

Anaglyph images are much easier to view than either parallel sighting or crossed eye stereograms, although the latter types offer bright and accurate color rendering, particularly in the red component, which is muted, or desaturated with even the best color anaglyphs. A compensating technique, commonly known as Anachrome, uses a slightly more transparent cyan filter in the patented glasses associated with the technique. Process reconfigures the typical anaglyph image to have less parallax.

An alternative to the usual red and cyan filter system of anaglyph is ColorCode 3-D, a patented anaglyph system which was invented in order to present an anaglyph image in conjunction with the NTSC television standard, to which the red channel is often compromised. ColorCode uses the complementary colors of yellow and dark blue on-screen, and the colors of the glasses' lenses are amber and dark blue.

Most recently, the anaglyph 3-D system has been superseded in popularity by the polarization 3-D system. The polarization system has been found to generally appear more life-like, and to also be more easily viewed with less eye-strain over longer periods of time

So, as you are using your specs to cancel out the colours the colour setting on your TV compared to the filters must be critical, sounds to me like the polarized light sytem is much superior but more expensive to produce and veiw

I wouldn't bother, chaps. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I've got my 3D specs on over my regular glasses (correcting fairly pronounced short-sightedness), but I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the 3Dness (such as it is) in the Derren Brown programme. I'm now watching it without 3D specs on, and finding it much more enjoyable.

See I was doing it last night and got a pretty good result with the queen thing but with Derren Brown not so much.

I am VERY right dominant so invariably everything appears in blue and I have to squint to make it look good.

E4 had "Chuck" in 3d a few weeks back and that was disappointing.

Archived