TV Audio Help

Sound In Gloucestershire

im hoping this is the best place to post it

Basically a locally venue are going to be showing the X Factor final live. They have an in house background system which only plays music. They are bringing in a load of plasma screens which will be wired via normal aerials (not through scarts or anything). They dont have sky boxes or anything like this

Now, they want the sound to be broadcast through my hired in FOH system, then afterwards to do an X Factor competition of their own (call it karaoke if you will hehe)

Now, how can I go about getting an audio feed? As I said all the screens will be wired with normal aerial cable and plugs (normally id just get a feed from the skybox!)

Basically a locally venue are going to be showing the X Factor final live. They have an in house background system which only plays music. They are bringing in a load of plasma screens which will be wired via normal aerials (not through scarts or anything). They dont have sky boxes or anything like this

Now, they want the sound to be broadcast through my hired in FOH system, then afterwards to do an X Factor competition of their own (call it karaoke if you will hehe)

Now, how can I go about getting an audio feed? As I said all the screens will be wired with normal aerial cable and plugs (normally id just get a feed from the skybox!)

Easy.

Take a dvd player/recorder or freeview box that has a TV tuner built in with you.

Connect an aerial to it, tune it to the appropriate channel and use the audio outputs to feed your system.

Cheers,

Peter

Easy.

Take a dvd player/recorder or freeview box that has a TV tuner built in with you.

Connect an aerial to it, tune it to the appropriate channel and use the audio outputs to feed your system.

Cheers,

Peter

Don't do this as digital free view is slightly behind analog tv and the sound wont sync up with the lips best idea is as themadhippy said take a scart out the back of a tv

Don't forget that different transmission mediums - Sky, Freeview and analogue tv have different propagation delays. This means that the sound from one medium will not be in sync with the video from another. Also different equipment models can also vary. I think you are best taking the audio source from a TV or receiver box supplying the video and not a separate unit. Themadhippy's suggestion should work.

Another vote for the TV receiver route. I'd supply a VHS Deck with tuner built in, then take the RF feed, tune it down, then take the video feed out of the VHS to the Plasmas at video level via a DA, and the left and right via DI boxes to the audio mixer. Easy peasey. Only problems could be the integrity of the RF feed i.e. ensuring it's good quality.

As others have said, some of the Freeview/Cable boxes have shocking delay between the images and audio. My mother in laws box has close to half a second at times, which they don't notcie, but drives me nuts....

If they're using TV's with built in Freeview decoders, and using the digital signal, you must take the sound from a TV (they may also run into problems with the TV's not being in sync with each other as different hardware / software takes different times to decode the digital signal).

If they're using analogue, then you can take the sound from a TV provided it has a connection, or bring a suitable analogue tuner (e.g. video / dvd recorder) and tune it to the same source, whichever is easiest for you.

Just to endorse what dosxuk said, be careful about sync among your various monitors unless they're all the same make/model. At home we have a plasma TV, an LCD and an old CRT with a set top box. In our brave new world of digital, if all three are on the same channel and I stand in the middle of the house so as to hear all three sets, there can be up to about a third of a second difference in the sync. Even the relatively modern plasma and LCD are several frames different.

Bob

Just to endorse what dosxuk said, be careful about sync among your various monitors unless they're all the same make/model. At home we have a plasma TV, an LCD and an old CRT with a set top box. In our brave new world of digital, if all three are on the same channel and I stand in the middle of the house so as to hear all three sets, there can be up to about a third of a second difference in the sync. Even the relatively modern plasma and LCD are several frames different.

Bob

To mirror Bobbsy, when I set up my home audio system (virgin +) to receive sound from my lcd, the tv speakers were at least 350ms in front of the audio from my theatre system. (via hdmi)

It was not noticeable before an A' - B' test, just ensure the video matches up to the audio, especially with a live music show.

Any LMS with delay would counteract this.

I made it too easy and forgot about the shocking delays between different boxes/transmission routes.

Pete McReas method is the one to go for, a single source for receiving both pictures and audio and then distribute it yourself.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived