Live Music

SLM-285

Problem I have...

I have a live music concert coming up and have an awesome lighting plan (in my opinion) which has 17 seperate simple states and umpteen more if I wanted to.

So would you put stuff like the OW spots and Tab lights onto a cue stack and leave all my others (blue stage, etc...) on the subs????

I think so but my colleagues (unambitious lot that they are) believe it'd just be better to go with making specific submasters for each act... I strongly disagree

WHat do you all think?

I put things on subs if I need intensity control over them, if I dont need the actual fader, they will go as a cue in a list or a dedicated key on the console if your console has those.

I would build every cue you think you will need then seperate them out onto subs or lists, its up to you really. Which console do you have?

Best,

If it's live music, then the key for me is the ability to have a basic state and then be able to add things over the top, so you get a state for the intro which can be static or active - then another for the verses, chorus, solos, outro etc. I quite like colours on faders with bumps - sort of building blocks, and the basic song states on a stack. I guess everyone has their own preference - that's what makes each of us different in style. If the music suddenly goes bam bam bam, then my lighting does too. Other people just seem to do lighting like progressive jazz music - you both start and finish at the same time, but what happens in the middle is a little 'individual'.

Do whatever works for you, and the things that don't work - don't do next time!

We just put the house lights onto the cue stack, and then put everything else on subs - using a mixture of subs with indensity data and no fixture data, and then just fixture states (colours etc) that can then be recalled on top of the intensities.

Archived