British Entertainment Industry Launches ‘Save Our Sound UK’ Campaign

AndyL

Yes, and more to the point, I wonder how much money is going to be tunneled into re-fitting places like Jodrell Bank in order to be compliant.

It doesn't really work like that :-) The Lovell was upgraded a few years ago - http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/tech/lovellupgrade/ - but it's down to the receivers that need to be changed. As someone else says, they're just going to have to abandon observing in that frequency band, and leave it to other countries. I won't divert this thread further...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A 'deal' was also done to get channel 36 clear of the one remaining radar system, it's gone now. Again it isn't at all clear (yet) as to why. One theory is it just looked neater on paper to have a contiguous block of clear spectrum from ch 31 to 37, or 38, without any real thought as to what it could or would actually be used for. But that would be just crazy talk, right? :blink:

Here's a theory. A few years ago when SCART was but a small boy, I used to have problems tuning TV's to the output of VCRs on CH36 due to slight interference from what I assumed was radar - quite possibly from MAN airport or Woodford, both nearby.

With the DSO there will be many 1000's of people connecting their Freeview & Freesat boxes to their TVs using the UHF output as their SCARTs (if fitted!) will be full of DVD players and the like. I'd guess there's not many who will be able to cope with SCART switchers and the like. None of my TV's (all analogue) have spare SCART capacity, but being a technician installing a switch with all it's spagetti (sp?) doesn't bother me :** laughs out loud **:

So maybe CH36 has been cleared for this very reason :blink:

Further down the line it could be sold off, once ample time is given to assume most 'analogue' TVs are dead and burried.

Shame that thinking hasn't been applied to the rest of us....... :angry:

I would love this to be the reason..... talk about dumbing down.... :blink: :angry: :blink: :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **:

Well we are talking about OFCOM/Government........ ANYTHING is possible!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ed Richards, CEO of Ofcom answering (or trying to answer!) some pertinent, and tough, questions on funding of PMSE equipment and related matters put by Peter Luff in a House of Commons Committee hearing:

The transcript might not be available for a bit but you can watch it here - http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=5266 ://http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/P...meetingId=5266

PMSE starts off at 01:17:46

PMSE starts off at 01:17:46

Good watching. Section of interest is only 10minutes.

Ed Richards says that between 4-7 years notice to PMSE users have been given before 2012 !?!?! I had my first letter from JFMG or OfCom this year. I make that notice of only 3-4 years myself, but hey, I suppose they think they can lie through their teeth to Peter Luff and get away with it.

I didn't realise that there was only security of tenure proposed until 2018!

I am pleased that the Chairman of this committee is pressing for full cost to be met.

Andy

btw Surely this topic should be in the Sound section. Many people who have an interest in this issue don't use this area of the forum.

Guest lightnix
...Whereas I partly agree with Lightnix about rental companies, what about me? I work for a non-profit making school with Charitable status, where these things are often bought from fundraising.

In 2012 (or just before) I have to explain to teachers and the finance people that we have an 8ch radio mic system that is in perfect working order with years of life left in it that I have to put on the skip and replace with another, identical system that has one component with a different value...

So yeah, profit making business's stop moaning and spare a thought for all of us who don't actually raise a single penny directly as a result of our investment in radio equipment...

IMO it is vitally important that this campaign works to bring the small, non-profit making radio mic users on board and turns this into more of a public / popular cause, by emphasising the effect it will have on them, too; otherwise there's a danger that it may come to be viewed as just another bunch of poorly-run private companies, looking for a taxpayer-funded bailout :wall:

Obviously I have no figures, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the small users (schools, churches, aerobics instructors, bingo halls, hotels, entertainers, private individuals, etc.) actually own just as many radio mics between them, as the industry does and maybe more.

btw Surely this topic should be in the Sound section. Many people who have an interest in this issue don't use this area of the forum.
It started out in Sound. It was I who suggested it be moved here, because I thought it would get a larger audience.

I notice that right at the end of the section on PSME, someone made the point that local TV had made a strong bid for spectrum. Is that for ch38? or elsewhere!

Although I have read all the ofcom proposals and responded to the consultations, I hadn't noticed the security of tenure until 2018, that is a joke!

Being forced to buy new kit that we may only be able to use for 6 years, the security of tenure should be 15-20 yrs imho. We are still using some Senn kit that is 15 yrs old and in good working order.

• 2 months later...

I am posting this in a strictly personal capacity as a Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidate, who is also a former sound supervisor, and still work part time in the industry. I have received the following briefing from the party today:

Our radio spectrum is a finite resource under intense demand, and it is important that we make the most of it. Because the UK television signal is being switched from analogue to digital-only, a sizeable chunk of spectrum will soon become free. By reallocating this section to mobile broadband, it will be possible to extend mobile broadband to many more people (especially those in rural areas) and run it at a much greater capacity.

The Liberal Democrats believe spectrum should be exploited as efficiently and effectively as possible and we support any efforts to increase the reach and speed of mobile broadband.

Changing which part of the spectrum different groups use, however, is very difficult, and it has become apparent that those involved in small scale programme-making, special events or any other related activities (PMSE users) will be badly inconvenienced and may incur additional costs. It does not help that Ofcom have taken a long time deciding which part of the spectrum they will be moved to, making it difficult to begin the process of adapting.

The Liberal Democrats were very disappointed with the initial treatment of PMSE users. Those involved in activities such as music, theatre, and sports should have been supported from the outset. Instead, these groups were told to bid for spectrum, which was completely impractical.

We have now received assurances that PMSE users will not have to vacate any spectrum until 2012, and other parts of the spectrum will be protected for PMSE use until 2018. We have also been assured that Ofcom will give advance notice, so that there is time to make the necessary changes to radio equipment. We also understand that at every point during and after the transition, there will always be enough dedicated spectrum for PMSE users. With the considerable disruption they face, including having to purchase new equipment or modify existing equipment to work on the new frequencies, we also welcome reports that the government is looking at funding for PMSE users to help them with the transition.

Guest lightnix
...it has become apparent that those involved in small scale programme-making, special events or any other related activities...

SMALL scale???

You mean like the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies...

...and the U2 tour...

...the entire West End...

...and other little people like them :tantrum:

...it has become apparent that those involved in small scale programme-making, special events or any other related activities...

SMALL scale???

You mean like the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies...

...and the U2 tour...

...the entire West End...

...and other little people like them :)

I was only passing on what I read... I agree with your comments

<RANT>

Why do PMSE users have to change anyway? They have already said sizeable parts of the radio spectrum are becoming available, so why not give those parts to the damn mobile phone companies?

I know why! Because the government are up the backsides of the mobile companies because of the large amount of cash they stand to make from them, so if a mobile company say 'Jump', the goverment ask 'How high?'. PMSE users and manufacturers don't have a hope in hell's chance of going up against the big money.

I wouldn't mind betting there are less than 20 people in the entire UK who think that the sell off has been handled in the right way and there was no other alternative to prevent PMSE being the victims. And no doubt they will all be benifiting from some tax-free backhanders :)

Money will always speak louder than words when it comes to fat cats and polititians :(

</RANT>

Guest lightnix
...small scale...
SMALL scale???
I was only passing on what I read...

It's OK - I wasn't having a go at you; but I'm afraid that such thoughtless belittling of the situation, by those who purport to be concerned about it, fills me with no confidence in them whatsoever :)

Archived