Tv Signals

peter

... its actually power coming through the coaxial feed, which is paired off at source, back from my new FreeView digibox.  Dodgy or what?!

This is not unusual. Several types of devices may apply a DC offset to a RF connection. Sky digiboxes will do it on the RF2 output, although it's switchable from the installer menu. I'm guessing that the FreeView box does the same. It's effectively "phantom power" to power a downstream device - typically a remote control extender for use in another room.

A similar system can also be used to power masthead aerial amplifiers.

But it's usually around 9v DC....

Bruce.

Hi

I was plugging in my tv coaxial feed tonight and recieved repeated small voltage electrical shocks when touching two bits of the connectors.  My understanding was that TV Coaxial cable carried signal, rather than anything noticable voltage wise, so why was I getting a shock?

:stagecrew:

Peter

TV Ariel boosters work by amplifying the gain of the signal received from the ariel. TV boosters therefore can produce voltages at their output stages that are definately noticable when you touch them! Have experienced this many times before when distributing signals for conferences and throughout my home! As for no picture do you get a picture when if you plug a conventional television into the split signal? If so I suggest your pc card is faulty, if not I'd start looking at the split, particularly if the television plugged into the other side of the split works!

Hope this makes some sense

Dom - Yes, the guy who was 2 years above you! ;)

Interesting, this happened to me a few years ago, setting up my Philips On digital box as it was then! I got many shocks from the darn thing, as I plugged anything into it while touching its caseing. I think I solved it when my DVD player was installed with a car Bass Bin for the bass, which hummed like heck till I wired a plug with only an earth pin to the common of the audio signal.

• 2 weeks later...

I get shocks from my old cheap (Matsui?) VCR here, I can

only guess it is due to the ground (not earth) rail being the

same one used for the power supply and ground connections.

You could maybe put a diode on the external connectors but

this is just more money for the manufacturers, the manual

does after all say not to plug anything in while the power is on!

It may be the same with the PC, at best power supply levels

running round an average PC are a bit dodgy (looks at a pile

of destroyed motherboards).

Having read some more of the replies and looking at my

digibox (a Nokia 221T) I've just noticed it has a DC 10v

connector on the back marked 'TV aerial connector', I

guess it's power to run a head end aerial amp? Maybe

your digibox is acting in reverse, that is electricity flowing

up the wire to the aerial for use with an amp?

--

Regards,

Aaron.

Archived