Music Dept Mixing Desk

CharlieH

Hi everyone,

Basically last year the music department bought a brand new Behringer mixing desk. Don't ask me why, as I've never noticed that they needed one, but that's not the point. The only time it's been used since they got it is when it first arrived.

I was asked to rig it up to some computer speakers, with a mic and an iPod to check that it worked, and test out some features, such as the built in Graphic EQ and built in effects. None of the music department have any idea about music technology, and wouldn't know how to use the desk, even if their life depended on it, therefore they asked me to use it on their behalf if and when they needed it.

However, twice now I have needed a large, portable mixing desk that I can rig from scratch, for use in the drama studio, and as a recording desk (the main school desk is all wired into the hall, and it is a nightmare to re-wire it! :rolleyes: Both times, I was denied the use of the desk, because "it was still new" and "they didn't want it to get damaged" yet they still expect me to help them when they want to use it?!

I just wanted to check if I was being unreasonable, expecting the music department to let me use the desk for other school events, non music related, or are they being unreasonable?

Thanks for your responses,

Charlie

I suspect they are simply making it known it is theirs, and was paid for out of their budget. To be honest, if music wanted one there could be many reasons - including they HAD to get one to run a certain course. I'm afraid that schools and colleges are very protective of department funds and equipment. This is really common, and often means duplication - however, the head of each department would get hell if they lent out a product to another area and it got trashed. That's why they won't lend it. There may also be politics involved. maybe Perf arts overspent, taking funding from music. Maybe the teachers don't like each other? Plenty of ways to say "we'd love to, but sadly can't".

The teacher has told you (a pupil) "no". Why should they have to justify a decision to you? I'm sure they have their reasons for making the decision that they have. Whether or not you agree with those decisions is irrelevant. You should just get over it and move on. Whining about it on the Blue Room isn't going to do you any favours - indeed, if I was the member of staff concerned and I found out that you'd been moaning about me on a public forum, I'd be far from happy! Probably worth bearing that in mind .... :rolleyes:

Leave it to the teachers. Tell whoever's in charge of drama of your request and that they can either borrow the desk from music or authorise the spend for a rental (or, I suppose, do without). After that it's their call.

Bob

Hi Charlie

I can sympathise because I know what you are going through. I have just finished our annual school show about 2 weeks ago and I had a simillar problem. The way I solved it was by going straight to Head of Year and then I informed the headmaster who understood where I was coming from. However, I don't know how well you know you're headmaster.

Chris

Archived